Life and Career
Their family were originally from Tayug, Pangasinan, from Ilocos Norte before they relocated to Tondo, Manila. He joined the La Liga Filipina, where he met Andres Bonifacio and they founded the brotherhood called Katipunan on July 7, 1892.
When the revolution in 1896 broke out, he was already an army major. He was one of the signatories of the Pact of Biak-na-Bato in 1897. He joined the revolutionaries that were exiled in Hong Kong to keep the condition that was set in the "Pact". He returned to the Philippines during the Philippine-American War and he served as an army Colonel in the revolutionary government.
- Kailangan sa pagtatatag ng isang bansang malaya at mabisang pamumuno. (The cooperation of the citizens and effective leadership are needed in setting up a free country.)
- Madaling matamo ang tagumpay kung may pagkakaisa. (It is easy to succeed if there is unity.)
- May iba't-ibang paraan ng pakikipaglaban para sa bayan. (There are different ways of fighting for one's country.)
- Quirino, Carlos. Who's who in Philippine History. Manila: Tahanan Books, 1995.
- Valentin Diaz (accessed on September 12, 2007)