The Raiders of Leyte Gulf
The Raiders of Leyte Gulf or Raiders of Leyte is a 1963 World War II film directed by Eddie Romero and Written by Carl Kuntze and E.F. Romero. It depicts fictional events prior to one of the war's key Pacific battles. It was produced by Lynro Pictures.
Emmett Wilson, an American soldier, is doing reconnaissance near the island of Leyte in the Philippines. Captured by the Japanese, Wilson is brought to a POW camp where the Japanese torture him, hoping to obtain information about the impending invasion. When Wilson won't talk, the Japanese begin killing one innocent Filipino a day until he'll divulge the information. Already incensed, the Filipino rebels receive help in the form of an American paratrooper who organizes a raid to free Wilson. Some time later, Gen. Douglas MacArthur returns to the Philippines.
- Carl Kuntze - Writer (uncredited)
- Eddie Romero - Writer
- Felipe Sacdalan - Cinematography (uncredited)
- Aresnio Doña - Photographer
- Tito Arevalo - Music
- Eddie Romero - Editor (uncredited)
- Jennings Sturgeon as Emmett Wilson
- Michael Parsons as Lieutenant Robert Grimm
- Efren Reyes as Captain Shirai Akira
- Eddie Mesa as Angel Zabala
- Leopoldo Salcedo as Colonel Lino Sebastian
- Liza Moreno as Aida Rivas
- Oscar Keesee as Leon Magpayo
The Raiders of Leyte Gulf was released in January 1963, and distributed by Hemisphere Pictures and Manhattan Films Internatioal. It premiered in New York on August 19, 1963.
The film did well overseas but did not make much money at all in the United States. Kane Lynn arranged a daring publicity stunt at a Texas drive-in theater in which a man would jump out of a plane and parachute down into the drive-in lot. A large crowd of people showed up to watch the stunt, but left the lot as soon as it was over without staying to see the film.
The film runs for 1 hour and 20 minutes. It was shot in black and white, and its audio was mixed in Mono.
- The Raiders of Leyte Gulf. Apple TV. Retrieved 22 April 2021.
- "Bayani". http://ftvdb.bfi.org.uk/sift/title/471628 (accessed on Aug. 31, 2007)
- Synopsis: The Raiders of Leyte Gulf. Turner Classic Movies. Retrieved 22 April 2021.
- Credits: The Raiders of Leyte Gulf. Turner Classic Movies. Retrieved 22 April 2021.
- Full Cast & Crew: The Raiders of Leyte Gulf. IMDb. Retrieved 22 April 2021.
- Film Details: The Raiders of Leyte. Turner Classic Movies. Retrieved 22 April 2021.
- Ray, Fred Olen (1991). "The New Poverty Row". McFarland and Co. Inc. Template:ISBN. Page 65