Ten Outstanding Teachers of 2007
Once again, the Metrobank Foundation, Inc. acknowledges another batch of Ten Oustanding Teachers of 2007 who inspire generations of young Filipinos. Since 1985, more than 200 teachers have been awarded. Their exemplary dedication as educators and mentors lives on as former students become doctors, public servants, parents, and even teachers themselves.
This could have been a longer list with a bulk of other great nominees of elementary, high school, and college teachers all over the country. Here, now are the Sirs and Ma'ams who made it to the top list:
Grade School Awardees
- Fredo T. Laureles teaches work education and scouting in grade school of Ateneo de Manila University. He spent more than three decades in his profession and earned respect and recognition for his contributions to the academe. He has made remarkable contributions to the development of grade school learners by organizing the Work Education Program for the AGS, writing the Filipino/Araling Panlipunan textbooks, creating computer-aided instruction module in Filipino, and writing a volume of Gospel Komiks.
- Jeneluj C. Cunanan is a teacher of Grade 6 English at Central University in Kidapawan City. Aside from teaching, coaches a group of pupils in essay and oration. She also serves as school counselor.
- Madeline P. Rivera is a devoted teacher of San Pablo Central School in Laguna for 18 years. She teaches geography, history, and civics to Grade 6 students. She was a coach of a Makabayan Quiz Bee national champion. She heads the Bantay Dagat program in San Pablo, Laguna.
- Leticia N. Palle found an interesting way of making Grade 6 Math fun for her students at Malaybalay City Central School in Bukidnon through various innovations such as songs, games, and outdoor activities. It pays off as her students have become champions in regional contests and chess tournaments.
High School Awardees
- Glendale B. Lamiseria uses her experiences as tools to equip her students in dealing with real life outside school. As a math teacher, she develops the financial skills of students at Dulag National High School in Leyte. She also teaches entrepreneurship and even computer skills to out of school youth.
- Ruben L. Abuyacon believes that education should always be a priority. He teaches science to second- and fouth-year students of Alegria National High School in Surigao and convinces them to participate in various technology and environment programs. His thesis on energy and nutrients is now used as a reference book. He was duly recognized in Caraga as the Most Outstanding Science Club Adviser.
- Norma C. Pacaigue faithfully dedicated her life into teaching and civic work. Despite health problems, she still manages to teach History besides human rights and peace issues to her students at Novaliches High School in Quezon City. Aside from teaching, she actively involves herself in various activities of her parish and homeowners' association, school cooperative, parent-teacher group, and philatelic society.
- Cynthia Bangero took advantage of various scholarships to earn her degree in English. With her persistence and determination, she achieved her destined career as an educator. She practices her profession at Barotac Viejo National High School in Iloilo City as first- and second-year English teacher.
- Ceasar A. Saloma is a brilliant researcher and physics professor at University of the Philippines in Quezon City. He is the co-inventor of a US-patented method of generating optical images. He is a recipient of the International Galileo Galilei Award.
- Benilda S. Santos is an educator, poet, essayist, and author. She admits that teaching Filipino to her students at the Ateneo de Manila University has been a challenge for her. But despite this, she continuously convinces her students to learn Filipino by adopting new styles of teaching. She also urges her students to become writers and uses literature as a medium to develop a sense of nationalism among her students.
- Lee-Chua, Queena N. "Meet 10 outstanding teachers." Philippine Daily Inquirer, September 9, 2007, C2.
- "Search for Outstanding Teachers." Metrobank Foundation, Inc. http://www.mbfoundation.org.ph/prog_SOT.html (accessed September 27, 2007)