Teachers' Camp

From Wikipilipinas
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Formerly known as O-ring-ao among the native Igorots, Teachers' Camp site in Leonard Wood Road, Baguio City is a training center and vacation areas for teachers and school staff alike. Built in 1908 by order of William H. Pack, governor of Benguet, and Morgan W. Shuster, Secretary of Education, this camp was originally constructed to serve as a vacation normal school – complete with classrooms, dormitories, cottages, dining areas, administrative offices and assembly halls for various activities. Pack's plan was approved on January 8, 1908 and the camp became open to the public on April 6, 1908. Because of insufficient budget for its development, tents were used instead for classrooms, the kitchen, and other facilities. Years after, the pathways, social center and mess hall were constructed, including the Benitez Hall, Ladies Hall, Teacher's Hall, Tavera Hall and the White Hall. From then on, the camp has been the venue for yearly conferences of school superintendents and summer camps.


Template:Historystub

References

Citation

Wiki.png

Original content from WikiPilipinas. under GNU Free Documentation License. See full disclaimer.