Jose Sonny Matula is a Filipino labor leader and lawyer. He is the President of the Federation of Free Workers (FFW) labor group, Chairperson of the NAGKAISA Labor Coalition, and former commissioner of the labor sector of the Social Security System (SSS).
He is a law graduate from the Manuel L. Quezon University in 1997. He has been working as a legal counsel for laborers and unionists for 20 years. He also served as the Executive Director of the Presidential Anti-Graft Commission from 2001 to 2002.
He is the 12th candidate on the senatorial slate of presidential aspirant Leni Robredo. She cited Matula’s "clear track record in fighting for the rights of Filipino workers." She added that with his conviction and skills as a lawyer, he challenged big corporations and pushed for the rights of workers. And as a labor advocate, Robredo believes that Matula will fight for what is right, good, and just, until the end.
He filed his candidacy as an independent and was chosen by Robredo to represent the marginalized sector. He said that it is an honor to be included in the list of Robredo’s senatorial aspirants and that she is serious to push for labor rights in the coming elections.
Matula pushes for the end of “endo” or contractualization, increase in the minimum wage, end of impunity and giving of justice to slain labor leaders under the incumbent President Rodrigo Duterte administration, universal health care and the strengthening of the public health care system, and employee guarantee. He also pushes for the Overseas Filipino Workers (OFW) deployment ban versus abusive countries. On the other hand, he opposes the lowering of the minimum age of criminal responsibility and death penalty.
This is his second time to run for Senator. In 2019, he run under the Labor Wins Coalition and placed 50th among the senatorial candidates.
- “Jose Sonny Matula”. Rappler. (Accessed on 4 November 2021).
- Bolledo, Jairo.“Sonny Matula is 12th member of Robredo's Senate slate”. Rappler. (Accessed on 4 November 2021).
- “Sonny Matula gets 12th spot in Robredo's senatorial slate”. CNN Philippines. (Accessed on 4 November 2021).
- Punzalan, Jamaine and Navallo, Mike.“Slate complete: Robredo picks labor leader Sonny Matula as 12th Senate bet”. ABSCBN News. (Accessed on 4 November 2021).
- Mateo, Janvic and Hallare, Katrina.“Labor Leader Sonny Matula Is Leni’s 12th Senate Pick”. One News. (Accessed on 4 November 2021).