Santo Domingo Church
The Santo Domingo Church or the National Shrine of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary, La Naval de Manila is a church currently located in Quezon City. It is the mother church of the Dominican Order in the Philippines.
The church, which was constructed by the Dominican Order under the supervision of Bishop Domingo de Salazar, OP, was first constructed in Intramuros, Manila. It was reconstructed using concrete materials after the church and its convent collapsed in 1589. It was eventually relocated to Quezon City after it was destroyed during the Second World War.
The church houses the image of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary, La Naval de Manila. The image is credited for having saved Manila from the Dutch invasion in 1646. It is honored in a much celebrated religious festival.
The church is one of the tallest and largest in the Philippines. The main altar has a mosaic of St. Dominic designed by Architect Jose Zaragoza. Galo Ocampo designed the stained glass windows. The mural in front was created by Francesco Riccardo Monti.
- National Historical Institute. Historical Markers: Metropolitan Manila. Manila: National Historical Institute, 1993.
- "Santo Domingo Church." (accessed on July 19, 2007).