Rene O. Villanueva
Rene O. Villanueva (22 September 1954 - 5 December 2007) was a renowned children's storybook writer, playwright, and movie and television scriptwriter.
Early Life and Education
Rene O. Villanueva was born September 22, 1954 in La Loma, Quezon City to Francisco and Vicenta Villanueva. He earned his Bachelor of Arts Degree in History from the Lyceum of the Philippines in 1969.
Villanueva started writing plays and children’s literature during the late 1970s and published more than 50 children's books since then. His first Carlos Palanca Memorial Awards for Literature in 1980 for the short play entitled Kumbersasyon is only one of his several award-winning pieces which placed him at the Palanca Hall of Fame in 1995.
He was one of the pioneer writers of the Aklat Adarna Series. He was the former executive producer of Batibot, a popular children's show during the 1980s. He became section editor for Diyaryo Filipino; associate editor for Diliman Review; editorial consultant for Children’s Communication Center'; original head writer for Philippine Sesame Street Project; and creative director for Philippine Children’s Television Foundation, Inc..
Villanueva became an assistant professor at the Department of Filipino, College of Arts and Letters, University of the Philippines, Diliman. In between writing and teaching, he also served as an associate of the Likhaan: U.P. Intistitute of Creative Writing. He was a member of Galian sa Arte at Tula (GAT), the U.P. Writers Club, Unyon ng mga Manunulat sa Pilipinas (UMPIL), and The Writers Bloc, Inc..
Full Length Plays
- "Sixteen and Three Fourths" (1975)
- "Burles" (Burlesque) (1977)
- "Hiblang Abo" (Strands of Gray) (1980)
- "May Isang Sundalo" (There Was a Soldier) (1981)
- "Tribu" (Tribe) (1979)
- "Kontsabahan sa Tirarang" (Conspiracy in Tirarang) (1979)
- "Sinakulo" (1981)
- "Sandaang Panaginip" (A Hundred Dreams) (1981)
- "Samperang Muta" (Cheap Thrill) (1982)
- "Madyik" (Magic) (1983)
- "Sigwa" (Storm) (1984)
- "Huling Istasyon" (Last Station) (1983)
- "Ang Hepe" (The Chief) (1986)
- "Botong" (1989)
- "Tonyo" (1990)
One Act Plays
- "Teodora" (1993)
- "Gregoria" (1993)
- "Kumbersasyon" (Conversation) (1980)
- "Nana" (Pus) (1982)
- "Punla ng Dekada" (Seedlings of the Decade) (1984)
- "Kaaway sa Sulod" (Enemy Within) (1986) (with Rolando S. Dela Cruz)
- "Mabuhay ang Pangulo" (Long Live the President) (1987) (with Rolando S. Dela Cruz)
- "Asawa" (Spouse) (1987) (with Rolando S. Dela Cruz)
Two-Act Documentary Play
- "Sa Sariling Bayan" (In One’s Own Land) (1988)
Translations and Adaptations
- "Florante at Laura" (Florante and Laura) (1988)
- "Ang Napigil-Sanang-Paghahari ni Arturo Ui" (Bertolt Brecht’s The Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui) (1987) (with Joey Baquiran)
- "Sutsot sa Dilim" (Whistle in the Dark) (1985)
- "Crimes of Passion" (1985)
- "Awit ng Adarna" (Song of Adarna) (1984)
- "Sa Kuko ng Liwanag" (In the Claws of Neon Light) (1993)
- "Tiktipak-long" (Grasshoppers) (1984)
- "Si Pagong at si Matsing" (The Turtle and the Monkey) (1984) (an opera with music by Lucrecia Kasilag)
- "Ang Apoy ng mga Hayop" (The Fire of the Animals) (1987) (music by Kasilag)
- "Aguinaldo sa Niño" (Gift for the Infant) (1987)
- "Noong Unang Panahon" (In the Beginning) (1988)
- "Gabi na Kumander" (It’s Night, Commander) (1986)
- "Kamagong" (Mahagony) (1987)
- "Anak ng Lupa" (Child of the Earth) (1987)
- "Personal: Mga Sanaysay Sa Lupalop Ng Gunita"
- "Gabay Sa Pagsulat At Anim Na Dulang Pantelebisyon"
- "Literature Eksena't Saknong" (with Ligaya G. Tiamson Rubin)
- "Ang Pamilya Ng Ismid"
- "Ang Patotsay Na Iisa Ang Pakpak"
- "Ang Prinsipeng Ayaw Maligo"
- "Ang Unang Baboy Sa Langit" (The First Pig In Heaven)
- "Ayokong Pumasok Sa Paaralan"
- "Dagat Sa Kama Ni Troy"
- "Gusto Kong Kumain Ng Pansit Ngayon"
- "Kuya Ni Karina"
- "Nagsasabi Si Patpat"
- "Nasaan Ang Tsinelas Ko?"
- "Si Elephas At Estrogon"
- "Si Inggolok At Ang Planeta Pakaskas"
- "Si Paula Oink-oink"
- "Sina Linggit Laban Kay Barakuda"
- "Lumikha Ng Kuwento, Tula At Laruang Pambata" (with Virgilio Almario, Annaleah Habulan, Michelle Parazo Manual)
- National Fellow for Drama, UP Creative Writing Center (1985)
- Writer-in-Residence, UP Writers Workshop (1986)
- Best Screenplay for "Gabi na, Kumander", Catholic Mass Media Award (1987)
- Best Stage Production, "Hiblang Abo", Aliw Award (1987)
- Gawad Pagkikilala of the National Language Institute (1988)
- Gawad CCP sa Telebisyon (1991)
- National Book Awards for drama for "May Isang Sundalo at Iba Pang Dula" (1989) and for "Ang Unang Baboy sa Langit" (1992)
- Ten Outstanding Young Men (TOYM), for Literature (1991)
- Outstanding Young Persons of the World (1993)
- Palanca Hall of Fame (1995)
- CCP Literature Grant for Children's Play in Filipino
- 3 CCP Playwriting Contest Awards
- 2 Palihang Aurelio V. Tolentino Playwriting Contest Awards
- Prix Jeunesse International, Batibot (for which he wrote lyrics)
- International Advisors' Award
- Gold Medal, Youth Category, Nguyamyam, New York Film and TV Festival
Carlos Palanca Awards
- First Prize, Kumbersasyon, Dulang May Isang Yugto (1980)
- First Prize, May Isang Sundalo, Dulang May Isang Yugto (1981)
- Second Prize, Nana, Dulang May Isang Yugto (1982)
- First Prize, Huling Gabi sa Maragondon, Dulang May Isang Yugto (1983)
- Second Prize, Punla ng Dekada, Dulang May Isang Yugto (1984)
- First Prize, Sigwa, Dulang Ganap ang Haba (1984)
- Third Prize, Ang Hepe, Dulang Ganap ang Haba (1986)
- Second Prize, Awit ng Adarna, Dulang Ganap ang Haba (1988)
- Third Prize, Bertdey ni Guido and Sa Bayang Walang Batas, Maikling Kwentong Pambata (1989)
- First Prizes, Ang Unang Baboy sa Langit and Tungkung Langit at Alunsina (1990)
- Third Prize, Botong, Dulang Ganap ang Haba (1990)
- Third Prize, The Zimbragatzes of the Planet Zing, short story for Children (1992)
- Honorable Mention, She Devil, One-Act Play (1992)
- First Prize, Nemo, Ang Batang Papel, Maikling Kuwentong Pambata (1992)
- First Prize, Kuwento ni Malinis, Maikling Kuwentong Pambata (1993)
- Third Prize, Dagat sa Kama ni Troy, Maikling Kwentong Pambata (1994)
- Third Prize, Dobol, Dulang May Isang Yugto (1994)
- First Prize, Kalantiaw, Dulang Ganap ang Haba (1994)
- Second Prize, Blip, Maikling Kuwentong Pambata (1995)
- Third Prize, Bintao, Dulang Ganap ang Haba (1995)
- First Prize, Salubong, Dulang Pantelebisyon (1998)
- First Prize, Tatlong Ungas, Maikling Kuwentong Pambata (1999)
- First Prize, Watawat, Dulang May Isang Yugto (1999)
- Tiongson, Nicanor G., ed. CCP Encyclopedia of Philippine Art; Volume VII: Philippine Theater. 1994
- The Don Carlos Palanca Memorial Awards for Literature (Unofficial website). Geocities. (Accessed 28 November 2007).
- Rene O Villanueva. Panitikan. (Accessed 20 November 2007).