Philippine Board on Books for Young People
The Philippine Board on Books for Young People (PBBY) is the one of the country's premier organizations driven towards the development and promotion of children's literature in the Philippines. The organization is also known for its annual celebration of the National Children's Book Day (NCBD) held every third Tuesday of July by virtue of Proclamation 2365.
The PBBY is a private, non-stock, non-profit organization established in 1983 as the Philippine National Section of the International Board on Books for Young People (IBBY), a world organization that fosters international understanding through children's books. Formed in 1953 in Zurich, IBBY is now located at Basel, Switzerland.
The founding members of this organization are Virgilio Almario, Carol L. Afan, Larry Alcala, Angelica Cabaflero, Lucrecia Kasilag, Cristina Lim-Yuson, Serafin Quiason, Linda Ma. Nietes, Gloria Rodriguez, Renato Villanueva, and Alfredo N. Salanga.
Its core members, upholding the PBBY's advocacy, represent some of the Philippines' leading institutions and individuals from different sectors. These include The National Library (TNL), Cultural Center of the Philippines (CCP), Children's Communication Center (CCC), and Museo Pambata (MP). Among its individual members represent educators, mass media, librarians, writers, illustrators, publishers, researchers, and book reviewers.
Board of Members
- Chairman - Ruben de Jesus
- Secretary-General - Ani Rosa Almario
- Treasurer - Ramon Sunico
- The National Library
- Cultural Center of the Philippines (CCP)
- Museo Pambata
- Researcher - Mercy Abad
- Mass media - Emily Abrera
- Booksellers - Karina Africa-Bolasco
- Book reviewers - Neni Sta. Romana-Cruz
- Writers - Dr. Luis Gatmaitan
- Educators - Rizalina Labanda
- Publishers - Ramon C. Sunico
- Storytellers - Manolo Silayan
- Illustrators - Ruben de Jesus
- Librarians - Zarah Gagatiga
- Dr. Lucrecia Kasilag
- Nurturing Children's Literature in the Philippines (accessed on July 04, 2008)
- Philippine Board on Books for Young People (PBBY) Website (accessed on July 4, 2008)