Philippine All-time Top 10 Best Dressed List (Women)
This article is devoted to memorializing the style, glamor and fashion of the Alltime Top 10 Best Dressed List of Philippine Women, whether living or deceased.
In this list we attempt to recreate the particular milieus of each of these legendary women in Philippine fashion and culture. In rank order:
1. Chona Kasten was the daughter of Senator Claro M. Recto, the famous nationalist. She was the mother of future Night Life King Louie Ysmael. She had impeccable style and grace. Her signature Philippine designers were Ramon Valera, Christian Espiritu and Chito Vijandre. Elegantly dressed in Pucci, she would be seen in the many socials and events of Philippine high society. She counted the Todas among her many friends.
2. Elvira Manahan was the famous TV talk show host of "Two for the Road" in the 60s and 80s. She was well known for her madcap TV moments and hearty laugh. SHe was also renowned for her joie de vivre. She was married to Dr. Constantino Manahan, Jr. and her son is the famous TV director Johnny Manahan. Her signature designer was Ramon Valera. In a retrospective Valera exhibit in September 2003, Danny Dolor, curator of the event, chose the fully beaded leopard print gown worn by the late fashion icon. With its aquamarine coat left to trail sexily behind it, the look was classic and timeless. Elvira's life ended in horrible tragedy with her murder by estranged business partner Jaime Balatbat.
3. Mary Prieto, the manners guru, favored Pitoy Moreno, Ben Farrales and Ramon Valera. She started as a movie actress and was known for her impeccable style.
4. Baby Fores was a Halston and Jean Patou girl. She was the mother of Margarita Gaita Araneta Fores and sister of Judy Roxas. She favored Christian Espiritu.
5. Margarita Fores is the daughter of Baby Fores and is a celebrated restaurateur with her famed restaurants Cibo and Pepato. Armed with an adventurous sense of style she mixes new Puccis with Balenciega and Martin Margiela.
8. Elizabeth 'Lizzie' Zobel is a philanthropist and entrepreneur. An adventurous dresser, she mixes Inno Sotto with the elegant lines of Dolce & Gabbana. She is the wife of Jaime Augusto Zobel de Ayala, chairman and chief executive of Ayala Corporation.
9. Tingting Cojuangco is the celebrated socialite, a de los Reyes girl married to Jose 'Peping' Cojuangco.. She favors Augie Cordero and Christian Espiritu. In the 70s she was voted by Harper's Bazaar as one of the 10 most beautiful women in the world. On her 25th wedding anniversary in 1982, she wore a signature Christian Espiritu gown. She was governor of Tarlac from 1992 to 1998.Tingting Cojuangco, known for her humanitarian projects and work among Muslim communities, has now taken on Gawad Kalinga as her pet philanthropy.
10. Bea Valdes, up and coming fashionista, is the celebrated bag and accessory designer. Her designs were featured in Vogue and sold in Harvey Nichols and Barneys New York. Her mosther is Pamela Panlilio, and her grandmother is Fe Panlilio. Always in high style with an adventurous edge, she mixes dresses from Alexander McQueen, Fe Panlilio jewelry and vintage bags from Rene Caovilla.