Ortigas & Co., Limited Partnership
The original company then named Ortigas, Madrigal y Cia, S. en C. (sociedad comanditaria por acciones) was established on 20 January 1920 with the purpose of acquiring Hacienda de Mandaloyon, which was part of the estate of the Augustinians. The property consisted of 4,033 hectares bordering San Juan, Pasig and Quezon City.
The original incorporators were Francisco Ortigas (Don Paco), Vicente Madrigal, B.C.M. Johnston, Fulgencio Borromeo, and Clyde A. Dewitt who were designated as general partners (socios gerentes colectivos), while then Senate President Manuel L. Quezon was listed as a limited partner (socio comanditario). The company intended to divide the large tract into residential and commercial subdivisions.
In 1956 Vicente Madrigal withdrew from the partnership and the name of the company was renamed to Ortigas & Company, Limited Partnership.
In 1985 the Ramirez and Lanuza families who are general and limited partners with 42% of the partnership's equity withdrew, thus leaving the 2 Ortigas families in control of the company.
When Ortigas and Company took over the management of Hacienda Mandaloyon it consisted mostly of idle grasslands. The vision of Atty Francisco Ortigas, Jr., then president and chairman, was to transform it into a commerical, industrial and residential center. The strategy was "two pronged: (1) develop industrial properties and allow subdivisions and community facilities to emerge around it; and (2) focus on “elite” motivation: first class homes made attractive by a modern and accessible amenities like private schools, hospitals, churches, post offices, police stations, ample water supply, plus private sports and social clubs."
Alongside residences sprouted shopping complexes, including Greenhills Shopping Center, Tiendesitas, SM Megamall, Robinson's Galleria, and EDSA Shangri-La Plaza; renowned schools De La Salle Greenhills, Xavier School, Lourdes School, St. Pedro Poveda College, and St. Paul College. Centers of worship also sprang up including Santuario de San Jose, Mary The Queen, St. Francis, Our Lady of Peace Parish and the EDSA Shrine.
OCLP established Ortigas Foundation in November 1996 as their call to responsible corporate citizenship. Ortigas & Co. also established the Ortigas Foundation Library which forms the cornerstone of the company's research and conservation program.
- Ortigas & Co. website Accessed 31 August 2009
- Businessworld article on Ortigas & Co.'s tallest structure Accessed 31 August 2009
- http://www.asiafinest.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t196462.html Asia Finest forum on Ortigas & Co] Accessed 31 August 2009
- Detailed history of OCLP Accessed 31 August 2009