National Disaster Consciousness Month
Held every July, the National Disaster Consciousness Month (NDCM) is a month-long observance that aims to increase the awareness of every Filipino to the threats of disaster and for a better appreciation of the government’s disaster preparedness program.
Preparing for Natural Disaster
Faced by the growing concerns about uncaused events such as typhoon, flood, earthquake, tornado, landslide, volcanic eruption, tsunamis and drought, the government, through the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) recognized the value of setting aside a designated period for people to focus their attention on the need to prepare for natural disasters. On 10 August 1999, President Joseph Estrada issued Executive Order No. 137 declaring July as National Disaster Consciousness Month to institutionalize the civil defense program.
The event is observed all over the nation to heighten the awareness on disasters affecting communities to prepare and prevent the adverse effects of disasters. It also aims to instill to Filipino a pro-active approach to disasters.
The National Disaster Consciousness Month theme for 2021 is “Ligtas na Bayan, Maunlad na Pamayanan,” which aims to highlight the goal of disaster risk reduction and management advocacy that is to safeguard communities from the adverse effects of disasters to promote sustainable development. It also aims to promote public awareness on natural disasters and disseminate information on the ways to mitigate the adverse effects of such hazards.
The Kick-Off activity will begin with the flag raising ceremonies of all NDRRMC agencies, local government units and partner-institutions. Parallel activities scheduled within the month of July will follow.
- "National Disaster Consciousness Month"
- Office of the President
- "July is disaster consciousness month".Sun Star Davao.
- “Pagrerebisa ng NDRRMC law, ipinanukala ni Gazmin ngayong papasok na 'National Disaster Consciousness Month'”.PTV News.(Accessed on 1 July 2015).
- “NATIONAL DISASTER CONSCIOUSNESS MONTH 2015”.League of Municipalities of the Philippines.(Accessed on 1 July 2015).
- "NDRRMC-OCD Leads the Celebration of National Disaster Consciousness Month".GOVPh.(Accessed on 30 June 2021).