My Name is Kim Sam-Soon
My Name is Kim Sam Soon or My Lovely Sam-Soon is a South Korean drama series which was aired in Philippine television through GMA Network last 2005. The series was a major hit in South Korea as well as in the other countries where it was shown.
Some critics believe its huge success was due to the show focused in the life of single chubby middle-aged woman. The physical appearance and stereotype that the female character highlighted (in the sense of mid aged and overweight) portrayed in the drama increased dramatically the popularity particularly in mid aged South Korean women. Actress Kim eon-Ah is noted to have gained 15 pounds for the role.
The story is all about Kim Sam-Soon, who is the third daughter of a rice cake make owner. She is a 29 year-old, fat, pastry chef, who has just lost her job and her boyfriend on Christmas Eve. She has all the insecurities of a woman grazing 30. With yet another failed relationship, Sam-Soon scrambles desperately to rebuild her career and her love life.
Sam-Soon manages to find a job at "Bon Appetite" restaurant when she gets acquainted with the owner of the restaurant, Hyun Jin-Heon. The owner is young, handsome but aloof and cold. Jin-Heon is the only son of a hotel chain owner. Although born with a silver spoon, fate had dealt him with a hard hand. Three years ago, a fatal car accident, where Jin-Heon was the driver, resulted in the death of his elder brother and sister-in-law; and at the very same time his girlfriend of 5 years left him for her studies in the United States of America. Jin-Heon had to endure both physical and mental pain to overcome his problems and rebuild his life. The death defying experience left Jin-Heon scarred as he stops believing in love and happiness.
Due to a moment of convenience, both Sam-Soon and Jin-Heon ended up signing a dating contract, where Sam-Soon will receive KRW 50 mio (which she needed to redeem her family house) and in turn she will pretend to be Jin-Heon's girlfriend to fend off his mother's endless efforts to get him match made and married.
When Jin-Heon's ex-girlfriend, Yoo Hee-Jin, returns to seek reconciliation; Sam-Soon realizes that she has fallen for him, and their contractual relationship gets complicated. Jin-heon also realizes that he is much happier when he is with Sam-Soon and he can't get her off his mind. He confesses his feelings for her when she tells him that she hates people who don't admit their true feelings towards the person they like.
Hee-Jin then asks Jin-Heon to accompany her as she returns to the US. Sam-Soon lets him go with his ex-girlfriend, but he fails to return to Korea on the promised date. When he arrives, they both find out that he has been sending his letters and postcards for her in the wrong address. After getting back together, Sam-Soon tries to be pregnant so Jin-Heon's mother would allow them to get marry. Although they weren't successful, they remain together until the end.
- Kim Sun Ah as Kim Sam-Soon (Sam-Soon Kim/Sofie)
- Hyun Bin as Hyun Jin-Heon (Cyrus Hyun)
- Jung Ryu Won as Yoo Hee-Jin (Hanna Yoo)
- Daniel Henney as Dr. Henry Kim (Henry Kim)
- Kim Ja Ok as Park Bong-Sook (Sam-Soon's mom) (Letty Park)
- Lee Ah Hyun as Kim Yi-Young (Sam-Soon's sister) (Eliza Kim)
- Na Moon Hee as Na Hyun-Sook (Jin-Heon's mom)
- Suh Ji Hee as Hyun Mi-Joo (Jin-Heon's niece) (Amber Hyeon)
- Yoon Ye Hee as Yoon Hyun-Sook
- Lee Kyu Han as Min Hyun-Woo (Harvey Min)
- Lee Yoon Mi as Jang Chae-Ri (Cherry Jang)
- Yeo Woon Kye as Ms. Oh (Manager Oh)
- Kwon Hae Hyo as Lee Hyun-Moo (Chef Dino Lee)
- Han Yeo Woon as Lee In-Hye
- Kim Hyun Jung as Jang Young-Ja (Cynthia Jang, Captain Jang)
- 42ND THE PAEKSANG AWARDS for:
- Best Drama, My Lovely Sam-Soon - Best Screenplay, Kim Do Woo - Most Popular Couple, Hyun Bin, and Kim Sun Ah - Best Cast, My Lovely Sam-Soon
- MBC AWARDS 2005 for:
- New Actor Award, Daniel Henney - Popularity Award, The Main Couple Hyun Bin and Kim Sun Ah - Best Couple Award,Hyun Bin and Kim Sun Ah - Excellence Award , Jeong Ryeo Won - Top Excellence Award/ Male: Hyun Bin - Top Excellence Award/ Female: Kim Sun Ah - Greatest Award, Kim Sun Ah
- (SDA) SEOUL DRAMA AWARDS 2006 for:
- Best Mini Series, My Lovely Sam-Soon
After being one of the asianovelas that have been successful in Philippine television, GMA Network acquired the rights to do a remake of the series. In the Philippine version, the role of Kim Sam-Soon will be played by singer-actress Regine Velasquez, while the male lead role was given to Mark Anthony Fernandez.
- Kim Sun-a Gains Weight to Win Hearts (accessed on May 6, 2008)
- 'FIRST READ ON PEP: Regine Velasquez's leading men in "Kim Sam Soon" revealed' in PEP (accessed on May 6, 2008)
- 'From Concert Stage to TV' at Inquirer.net (accessed on May 6, 2008)
- 'Other cast members of "Kim Sam-Soon" revealed' in PEP (accessed on May 6, 2008)
- My Name is Kim Sam-Soon at Koreanwiz.org
- My Name is Kim Sam-Soon at spcnet.tv
- My Lovely Sam-Soon at Twitch