Mellie Ablaza is one of the most prominent socialites of the Philippines. Philippine Tatler dubbed her one of the best party hostesses. She is Honorary Consul of Guatemala in the Philippines and a past President of Friends for Cultural Concerns of the Philippines (FCCP).
It is said that her affairs are truly memorable.
- In December 2004 she staged a barrio fiesta despedida in Tagaytay for departing Mexican Ambassador Enrique Hubbard and his wife Mariana. The theme of course was Filipiniana so designer Ben Farrales dressed everyone with barong and baro't saya. Decorator son JunJun Ablaza decorated the grounds with pink butterflies, flowers and tulle. Millie Reyes set up a fiesta with lechon and a humongous roast calf. Bayanihan troupe entertained. The hostess was also celebrating her birthday, so she was serenaded by the singing ambassadors Mario Schuff of Argentina, Jan de Kok of Europe Union, and Paul Dimond of the United Kingdom. Seen at the fiesta were members of the diplomatic corps: the ambassadors of Cuba, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Belize, Jamaica, Monaco, and too many other countries to mention.
- In December 2006 she pulled out all the stops to present another whopper. She invited alta sociedad to the Ablaza family's Christmas "Tiara Ball", which featured invitations on a velvet-pillow encased tiara. Their whole clan was present: Louie Ablaza and children Marc, Jun-Jun and Czarina. The theme of course was Russia and the czars. Boysie Villavicencio and Cha-Cha Camacho were hired to stage the party. Manila Polo Club was draped with thousands of yards of fabric and decorated with the Ablaza heirlooms. THe dinner featured sea bass, French wine, caviar and champagne. Her children and family members worked months to prepare all details for the Tiara Ball. Johnny Litton was the night's emcee, with intermission supplied by members of the Philippine Ballet Theatre in operatic and ballet numbers. Ambassador Godfrey Simasiku of the Republic of Zambia made a surprise announcemennt of Louie Ablaza's appointment as the honorary consul of Zambia. The splendid evening ended with a fireworks display.
- "One, two, three-time to party!" Asian Journal, 28 January 2005. http://www.asianjournal.com/cgi-bin/view_info.cgi?code=00009167 (accessed on 8 February 2008)
- "Must be at Mellie’s!" Manila Times, 20 February x2007. http://www.manilatimes.net/national/2007/feb/20/yehey/life/20070220lif5.html (accessed on 8 February 2008)
- "Pacesetters." The Manila Bulletin Online. http://www.mb.com.ph/issues/2004/12/06/SCTY2004120623859.html (accessed on 8 February 2008)
- Manila Times columnist Becky Garcia on December 2006 Tiara Ball
- Manila Bulletin Online column of Ethel Tiempo on the Barrio Fiesta Extravaganza