Template:Infobox person Martin Roll (born 2 March 1967) is a Danish author, brand strategist and management consultant. Roll appears regularly in global television and print media. He holds an MBA from INSEAD where he is a Distinguished Fellow and an Entrepreneur in Residence. Roll's first book, Asian Brand Strategy, was named one of the "Best Business Books: Marketing" in 2006 by Strategy+Business. He is the founder CEO of Martin Roll Company, an advisory firm based in Singapore. He advises Fortune 500 companies, Asian firms, family-owned businesses and also served as a senior advisor to McKinsey & Company.
Early life & education
Martin Roll received a Bachelor's degree in Business and Marketing Management from Copenhagen Business School in 1989. He attended Young Managers Program in 1998 and completed his MBA from INSEAD in 1999.
In 2000, he took on the role as Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) with a Danish tech company, whose regional headquarters was in Singapore. Martin Roll founded his own management consulting business in 2002 aimed at helping companies to build their global brands. He advises Fortune 500 companies, Asian firms and family-owned businesses on strategy, leadership, branding and marketing.
In October 2017, he was appointed as Senior Advisor at Singapore based venture capital firm, Cocoon Capital. He is an Associate Fellow with the Institute on Asian Consumer Insight (ACI). Martin Roll was appointed Senior Advisor to freelance-based agency Superson in March 2019.
In 2005, Martin authored his first book Asian Brand Strategy: How Asia Builds Strong Brands, published by Palgrave Macmillan. Asian Brand Strategy is regarded as one of the best books written on Asian branding strategy and was rated a top global marketing book of 2006 by Strategy+Business.
Professor John Quelch at Harvard Business School called it, "An important handbook for Asian executives aspiring to build strong brands. It provides a solid foundation for future success in the global marketplace."
The Daily Telegraph in its book review wrote, "In Asian Brand Strategy, he [Martin] sets out 10 ways to create an Asian brand in a marketplace that in the past has often dismissed image as unimportant."
In a review of the book, Dominic Barton from McKinsey & Company said, "Martin Roll provides a compelling and practical roadmap on how to do this based on his extensive experience advising Asian corporations."
Martin Roll co-authored the book, The Future of Branding in 2016 together with a team of global business and marketing academics including Kevin Lane Keller, Don E. Schultz and Rajendra K. Srivastava.
Martin Roll is a frequent keynote speaker and EMCEE at international conferences on business and brand strategy with a focus on Asian brands, global strategy and leadership. He has spoken at business events like Thinkers50, Women's Forum for the Economy and Society, Arab Luxury World, TEDx, World Knowledge Forum, The Harvard Project for Asian and International Relations (HPAIR), Strategy Summit and Global Leaders Summit, PowerBrands Glam Las Vegas.
- (2006) Asian Brand Strategy: How Asia Builds Strong Brands. United Kingdom: Palgrave Macmillan UK. ISBN 978-1-4039-9279-6.
- Roll (2015). Asian Brand Strategy (Revised and Updated): Building and Sustaining Strong Global Brands in Asia. United Kingdom: Palgrave Macmillan UK. ISBN 978-1-349-67574-6.
- Roll (2016). "Branding and Emerging Markets", The Future of Branding. United Kingdom: SAGE Publishing. ISBN 978-9-3515-0316-3.
He is a Danish citizen and a Permanent resident of Singapore. He currently splits his time between Copenhagen and Singapore. In an interview with China Daily, Roll said he spent about 250 days a year travelling globally on client engagements and keynote speeches.
- Wilson, Karl. "Brand new day", China Daily HK.
- 胡雨濛. "Branding expert sees Chinese firms rising in confidence - Opinion - Chinadaily.com.cn".
- Martin Roll.
- "Bestilte håndbajere til delegationen: Derfor kan Kronprins Frederik blive milliarder værd for Danmark", BT (tabloid), May 25, 2018. (in da)
- "Asian Branding Guru Due In Sri Lanka", The Sunday Leader, February 6, 2011.
- Cadbury tackles Malaysia pork debacle (en-GB).
- Lee, Yoolim. "Note 7's Death Leaves Samsung's Brand at Risk", Bloomberg, 2016-10-11.
- "Cocoon Capital appoints renowned branding consultant Martin Roll as senior advisor", e27. (in en-US)
- Kermeliotis, Teo. "Doing business in China: Five tips for success - CNN", CNN.
- "Five Best Practices of Global Brand Management", INSEAD Knowledge, 2015-07-08. (in en)
- Martin Roll Thinks APAC Brands Must Build Their Own Legacies.
- "The enduring power of the princes of K-pop", BBC News, 2018-01-08. (in en-GB)
- "Martin Roll Appointed Distinguished Fellow at INSEAD Business School", INSEAD via Facebook, August 27, 2018.
- Wreden, Nick. "Best Business Books: Marketing", strategy+business.
- "Strategist challenges Filipino CEOs to build global brands", Manila Standard, January 16, 2016.
- "Globally renowned Martin Roll and Sam Dias to share insights on brand strategy and brand valuation a", Daily FT, July 20, 2016.
- "Martin Roll, Hoh Kim join Burson-marsteller", The Daily Mirror (Sri Lanka), December 10, 2011.
- An exclusive seminar by Martin Roll. Nanyang Business School.
- "Finnish Superson launched its first office in Singapore", Scandasia, May 15, 2019.
- "BRAND PAPERS - ASIA: Brand strategies for asia.", Brand Strategy via HighBeam, March 8, 2006. Template:Dead linkTemplate:Cbignore
- "Branding i Asien", Dagbladet Børsen, October 7, 2015, p. 13. (in da)
- "Brand new ways to get into China", The Daily Telegraph, February 8, 2006.
- The Future of Branding. Sage Publishers.
- "How Chinese Companies Can Develop Global Brands", Harvard Business Review, November 20, 2013.
- "Martin Roll seminars: Panel of eminent Lankan CEOs discuss brands, strategy", The Sunday Times, March 13, 2011.
- "Country branding vital to lure investments - Martin Roll", The Daily Mirror (Sri Lanka), August 7, 2012.
- The world's most successful visionary business thinkers.
- "Luxury leanings: 5 lessons we learnt at the Arab Luxury World conference", The National (Abu Dhabi), May 24, 2017.
- TEDxNUS. TED (conference).
- "Asian branding guru Martin Roll due in Sri Lanka", Daily FT, February 23, 2011.
- "SPEAKING INTERNATIONAL: HPAIR 2015 AT MANILA", The Daily Star (Bangladesh), November 26, 2015.
- "Voldsom aktivitet på talentkrigens østfront", Mandag Morgen, September 25, 2006, pp. 78. (in da)
- PowerBrand Glams 2013 Honors Up and Coming Indian Brands (en-US).
- "Asia's Global Identity Challenge". The Peak Magazine (January 2011): 16.
- Biography from Martin Roll Company
- Martin Roll at TED (conference)
- An Interview with Martin Roll at Women's Forum for the Economy and Society
- Riding the Wave: Asian Brands Go Global at Asia Society