Magandang Gabi... Bayan
Magandang Gabi... Bayan named after the signature open and close of Noli de Castro, was a Philippine news magazine program. It premiered on August 21, 1988 and ended on December 31, 2005. The show formerly aired on ABS-CBN.
The program began on August 21, 1988, with its first anchor Kabayan (Template:Translation) Noli de Castro. The program's aim is to expose illegalities of some Philippine government officials as well as to render public service to the Filipinos. It continues to hold the title for the leading and longest public service program in the Philippines.
The program was styled in the lines of U.S. news magazine programs 60 Minutes and Dateline. The program was also known for its famous Halloween/All Saints' Day (Undas) specials featuring various horror stories from in and around the Philippines.
After de Castro's election as Senator of the Philippines in 2001 and subsequent election as Vice President of the Philippines in 2004, the program has substitute hosts included Kat de Castro (De Castro's daughter), Erwin Tulfo and Henry Omaga-Diaz.
However, in 2005, the program was reformatted when the hosts are on their way to the different locations outside the studio.
The program aired its final episode on New Year's Eve December 31, 2005, after 17 years of broadcast.
- Main hosts
- Noli de Castro (1988–2001, 2001–2004)
- Kat de Castro (substitute/replaced host for De Castro; 2001–2005)
- Erwin Tulfo (substitute/replaced host for De Castro; 2001–2005)
- Henry Omaga-Diaz (substitute/replaced host for De Castro; 2001-2005)
- Guest hosts
If De Castro could not make it to the program due to his absence, the staff hires the famous media personalities to guest host in the program. Some of the guest hosts fills in for him were only good for an episode. After De Castro's to the Vice President of the Philippines in 2004. The program and he replaced by the new host of De Castro (Kat-Kat), Tulfo and Omaga-Diaz.
- Kris Aquino
- Ted Failon
- Ces Drilon
- Mon Ilagan
- Cherie Mercado
- Cheryl Cosim
- Julius Babao
- Gus Abelgas
- Tony Velasquez
- Cathy Yap-Yang
- Korina Sanchez
MGB has been loved by many Filipinos and foreigners due to its Halloween Specials or Undás (Template:Translation) episodes.
Majority have praised the re-enactments of paranormal incidents and the theatrics used for the Undas Special's ominous atmosphere. Some stories that have been featured are Manila Film Center, Baguio City, Clark Air Base, University of the Philippines campuses in Diliman and Los Banos, Tugatog Cemetery (Satan's Statue), Laperal White House, Malacañang Palace, Corregidor, Philippine School for the Deaf and many others, each segment featuring De Castro standing in the said haunted locations for introductions and endings of each segment.
The following haunted locations have served as the settings for the Halloween specials of the show.
1. Magandang Gabi Bayan with Noli de Castro
- Malacañang Palace (1988)
- Tugatog Cemetery (1991)
- Manila North Cemetery (1993 and 2003)
- Laperal White House (1996)
- Manila South Cemetery (1994 and 1999)
- Corregidor (1997)
2. Magandang Gabi Bayan with Katherine de Castro, Erwin Tulfo, and Henry Omaga Diaz
During Undás 2006, a similarly-styled version, entitled "Kaba, Kutob, Kilabot: Mga Kwentong Kababalaghan" (Template:Translation), premiered on ABS-CBN. Katherine De Castro returned as the show's host with veteran actor and director Albert Martinez as the guest host. This special featured the 1995 Marivic Chan rape-slay case (People v. Mahinay, 302 SCRA 455 , G.R. No. 122485), Silliman University, a topic on demonic possession, and Judge Florentino Floro, who is known as the "Healing Judge".
- Anarcon, James Patrick. "#THROWBACK: Terrifying memories from Magandang Gabi Bayan Halloween specials", PEP.ph, October 27, 2016. Retrieved on November 20, 2019.
- De La Cruz, Christa I.. "10 Halloween Things Only Filipinos Would Understand", Spot.ph, October 31, 2017. Retrieved on November 20, 2019.
- "'90s kids, this Halloween TV special is back to spook you", Spot.ph, October 26, 2016. Retrieved on November 20, 2019.
- "Kilabot ni Kabayan: Noli de Castro, binalikan ang karanasan sa 'Magandang Gabi Bayan'", ABS-CBN News, October 28, 2018. Retrieved on November 20, 2019.
- ABS-CBN News (October 26, 2020). Magandang Gabi Bayan 1991 Halloween Classic. Google LLC. Retrieved on November 1, 2020.
- ABS-CBN News (October 27, 2020). Magandang Gabi Bayan 1992 Halloween Classic. Google LLC. Retrieved on November 1, 2020.
- ABS-CBN News (October 28, 2020). Magandang Gabi Bayan 1993 Halloween Classic. Google LLC. Retrieved on November 1, 2020.
- ABS-CBN News (October 29, 2020). Magandang Gabi Bayan 1994 Halloween Classic. Google LLC. Retrieved on November 1, 2020.
- ABS-CBN News (October 30, 2020). Magandang Gabi Bayan 1995 Halloween Classic. Google LLC. Retrieved on November 1, 2020.
- ABS-CBN News (October 31, 2020). Magandang Gabi Bayan 1996 Halloween Classic. Google LLC. Retrieved on November 1, 2020.