Renecio “Luke” Espiritu is a Filipino labor lawyer and president of Bukluran ng Manggagawang Pilipino (BLM). He filed his certificate of candidacy (COC) for senator under the Partido Lakas ng Masa (PLM) on 6 October 2021. He is part of presidential aspirant Leody de Guzman’s senatorial line up.
In October 2021, the BMP warned against the possible abuse by employers of the “no jab, no pay” policy which has been allowed by the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) for certain establishments. Espiritu, as BMP president, said that the policy is a “deprivation of employment to workers in the midst of the economic crisis.” He added that the policy will not only affect the jobs but the right to live of their families and that this will lead to cases of “constructive dismissal.” Instead, he suggested that vaccinated workers should be given incentives such as paid leaves to allow them to rest and observe the effect of vaccines on their bodies. He also appealed to “fill the gaps in the Labor Code” and replace rotten, anti-labor, and pro-employer laws and policies.
- Rey, Aika.“Labor leaders Elmer Labog, Luke Espiritu, Sonny Matula gun for Senate seats”. Rappler. (Accessed on 2 November 2021).
- “LIST: Who is running for senator in the 2022 Philippine elections?”. Rappler. (Accessed on 2 November 2021).
- Mendoza, John Eric.“Socialist presidential aspirant Leody de Guzman bares senatorial line up”. INQUIRER.net. (Accessed on 2 November 2021).
- “Presidential candidate Leody de Guzman names 9 senate bets”. ABSCBN News. (Accessed on 2 November 2021).
- Baron, Gabriela.“BMP blasts 'no jab, no pay' policy”. Manila Bulletin. (Accessed on 2 November 2021).