Lanao del Sur
Lanao del Sur is a province of the Philippines located in the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM). Its capital is Marawi City and borders Lanao del Norte to the north, Bukidnon to the east, and Maguindanao and Cotabato to the south. To the southwest lies Illana Bay, an arm of the Moro Gulf. Found in the interior of Lanao del Sur is Lanao Lake, the largest lake in Mindanao, where the Maria Cristina Falls, the largest waterfall in the country is located.
|Region||Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM)|
|Governor||Mamintal Alonto-Adiong Jr|
|Total (2000)||(29th largest)|
People and culture
Maranao is the most commonly spoken language in the province. Also spoken are Tagalog and Cebuano, as well as English and Arabic language|Arabic.
Points of interest in the province include:
- Moncado Colony
- Mindanao State University(Main Campus)
- Kalookan Lake
- Aga Khan Museum
- Torogan (of Tuka)
- Islamic Center of the Philippines (the country's largest dome)
- Tallest Minarets of Marawi
- Abu Bakar Mosque (largest mosque in Lanao del Sur)
- Lanao People's Park (only park in Lanao del Sur)
- Lanao Library
- Ayala Resort Hotel (only hotel in Lanao del Sur)
- Dansalan Market (natively known as Padian)
- MSU Golf Course
Lanao del Sur is subdivided into 39 municipalities and 1 city.
- Marawi City
Lanao del Sur forms the western portion of Northern Mindanao. It is bounded on the north by Lanao del Norte, on the east by Bukidnon, on the west by Illana Bay, and on the south by Maguindanao and Cotabato. The landscape is dominated by rolling hills and valleys, placid lakes and rivers.
The climate in the province is charactarized by even distribution of rainfall throughout the year, without a distinct summer season. The province is located outside the typhoon belt.
Lanao comes from the word ranao, meaning "lake." Lanao centers on the basin of Lake Lanao; thus, it is the land of the Maranaos, the "people of the lake."
When the Spaniards first explored Lanao in 1689, they found a well-settled community named Dansalan at the lake's northern end. Dansalan became a municipality in 1907 and a city in 1940, although it was inaugurated as such only in 1950. In 1956, Republic Act NO. 1352 changed the name Dansalan to Marawi, from the word rawi, referring to the reclining lilies in the Agus River.
When Lanao was divided into two provinces under Republic Act No. 2228 in 1959, Marawi was made the capital of Lanao del Sur. In 1980, the city was renamed the Islamic City of Marawi. It is now the only chartered city in the country with a predominantly Muslim population.
In a 1989 plebiscite, Lanao del Sur voted to join the Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao (ARMM), but Marawi City elected to remain outside ARMM.
Main articles: Music of the Philippines and Kulintang
The native Maranao of Lanao del Sur have a fascinating culture that revolves around kulintang music, a specific type of gong music, found among both Muslim and non-Muslim groups of the Southern Philippines.
- ^ National Statistical Coordination Board (2006-04-27). 2006 Factsheet. Retrieved on 2006-06-24.
- Lanao del Sur official government website
- WOW Philippines - Lanao del Sur
- Traditional Music of the Southern Philippines - An online textbook about Southern Pilipino Kulintang Music. Has chapters devoted to kulintang instrumentation, styles and uses by the Maguindanaon, the Maranao and other Southern Pilipino Groups.