Josette T. Biyo
Dr. Josette T. Biyo is the first Filipina and first Asian to win the Intel Excellence Teaching Award in 2002, besting 4,000 participants from other countries. The Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)'s Lincoln Laboratory in Boston named a minor planet or asteroid after her. 13241 Biyo (1998 KM41) is somewhere between 3 and 9 kilometers in diameter and is located in the Main Asteroid Belt between Mars and Jupiter.
Dr. Biyo is the current Director of the DOST-Science Education Institute.
- B.S. in Biological Sciences – U.P. Visayas
- M.S. in Biology – De La Salle University - Taft Avenue, Manila
- Ph.D in Biology – De La Salle University - Taft Avenue, Manila
Awards and Grants
- 2002 Intel Excellence in Teaching Award
- Minor planet (13241 Biyo) named after her by MIT Lincoln Laboratory
- National Award, Metrobank Foundation’s Search for the Outstanding Teacher of the Philippines
- Philippine Ambassador of Goodwill to Southeast Asian Countries and Japan
- SciScope: A PSciJourn Quarterly Recognizing Filipino's Scientific Excellence Vol.1 and Vol.2