Jose Pimentel Ejercito Jr. (born 17 February 17 1963), better known as Jinggoy Estrada, is an actor, film producer and politician. He served as a senator for two terms, from 2004 to 2010 and from 2010 to 2016. In 2014, Estrada was arrested on plunder charges for allegedly stealing ₱183 million from his discretionary funds as a senator, known as Priority Development Assistance Fund. He was released on bail in September 2017.
Before venturing into politics, Estrada, a son of former Philippine president and actor Joseph Estrada, was active in the film industry as an actor. He continued to act after being elected into public office. He won the best actor award during the 2007 Metro Manila Film Festival for his role in the film Katas ng Saudi. He also served as an executive producer for a handful of movies while working as a politician.
On 3 October 2021, Estrada filed his certificate of candidacy for the 2022 senatorial election. He is running under Pwersa ng Masang Pilipino, which is also the party of his father.
Early life and education
Jose Pimentel Ejercito Jr. was born on 17 February 1963. Known popularly as Jinggoy Estrada, he is a son of former president and actor Joseph Estrada and physician and former politician Loi Ejercito. He received his primary and secondary education from the Ateneo de Manila University and earned a bachelor’s degree in economics from the University of the Philippines Manila. While serving as vice mayor of San Juan, he took up law at the Lyceum of the Philippines University.
Mayor of San Juan (1992 - 2001)
At 29, Estrada was elected mayor of San Juan in 1992, becoming the youngest elected local chief executive in the country. He was reelected in 1995 and 1998, reaching his term limit by 2001. From 1998 to 2001, he was the national president of the League of Municipalities of the Philippines.
During his term, the San Juan Medical Center and the San Juan Municipal Gymnasium were built.
Senator (2004 - 2016)
Estrada successfully ran for senator in the 2004 elections. In 2001, he, along with his father, then president Joseph Estrada, was charged with plunder. He was later released on bail and acquitted in 2007.
In July 2007, Estrada was elected Senate president pro tempore.
Estrada was reelected senator in 2010, getting the second-highest number of votes. He was re-elected Senate president pro tempore during the commencement of the 15th Congress on July 26, 2010.
Involvement in the pork barrel scam
On September 16, 2013, the Department of Justice filed plunder charges against Estrada, along with two other senators, Juan Ponce Enrile and Bong Revilla, in connection to the pork barrel scam operated by businessperson Janet Lim Napoles. According to a report by the Commission on Audit on August 16, 2013, the senators, along with other congressmen, were alleged to have misused their discretionary funds, also known as pork barrel, in the scam. Estrada was alleged to have pocketed ₱183 million from the funds.
Estrada was arrested and detained at the Philippine National Police Custodial Center in Camp Crame in Quezon City on June 23, 2014. He was subsequently suspended for 90 days from his Senate position on September 2, 2014.
Estrada was granted bail by the Sandiganbayan on September 16, 2017. Hearing on his plunder cases is ongoing as of August 2021.
Estrada married Ma. Presentacion “Precy” Vitug in 1989. They have four children: Janella Marie, Joseph Luis Manuel, Julian Emilio and Julienne. Janella Marie Ejercito served as vice mayor of San Juan City from 2016 to 2019.
On May 3, 2020, Estrada was arrested for allegedly violating COVID-19 lockdown rules. He said he had been distributing relief goods in the area where police spotted him.
- Markang Rehas: Ikalawang Aklat (1985)
- Paradise Inn (1985)
- Bagets Gang (1986)
- Isa Lang Ang Dapat Mabuhay (1986)
- Sa Kuko Ng Agila (1989)
- Eagle Squad (1989)
- Estribo Gang: The Jinggoy Sese Story (1992) - Vice-Mayor
- The Marita Gonzaga Rape-Slay: In God We Trust (1995)
- The Four Stooges (1995) - Adrian
- Wilson Sorronda: Leader Kuratong Baleleng's Solid Group (1995) - Wilson Sorronda
- Strebel: Gestapo ng Maynila (1998) - Strebel
- Ang Erpat Kong Astig (1998) - Joe
- Hiwaga ng Panday (1998) - Guiller/Panday
- Col. Elmer Jamias: Barako ng Maynila (2000) - as Col. Elmer Jamias
- Sagot Kita... Mula Ulo Hanggang Paa (2000) - Ador
- Walang Iwanan...Peksman (2002)
- Utang ng Ama (2003) - Don
- Katas ng Saudi (2007) - Oca
- Magkaibigan (2008) - Ruben
- Kimmy Dora (2009) - audience member during Kimmy Dora's speech
- Ang Tanging Pamilya: A Marry Go Round (2009) - young Dindo
- Ang Tatay kong Sexy (2016) - Paquito
- Coming Home (2020) - Pre Production & Official Entry For 1st Metro Manila Summer Film Festival 2020
As executive producer
- Pepeng Agimat (1999)
- Palaban (2000)
- Col. Elmer Jamias: Barako ng Maynila (2000)
- Eto na Naman Ako (2000)
- Minsan Ko Lang Sasabihin (2000)
- Lorenzo's Time (2012) - as Himself
- Award of Excellence, Asusasyon ng mga Kumentarista at Anaunser ng Pilipinas, 1998
- Annual Young Achievers Award for Government and Public Sector, 1999
- Most Outstanding Government Service Award, Guillermo Mendoza Memorial Scholarship Foundation, Inc., 2011
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Gawad Amerika, 2012
- Men Who Matter, People Asia, 2012
- Distinguished Alumnus in Good Governance Award, University of the Philippines Alumni Association, 2013
- https://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/366902/news/specialreports/timeline-jinggoy-s-arrest-and-detention-for-plunder-case-in-pdaf-scam/ GMA Network. Retrieved September 6, 2021.
- https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1496355/jinggoy-estrada-files-candidacy-for-senate Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 18 October 2021.
- https://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/60117/news/nation/erap-guilty-of-plunder-sentenced-to-reclusion-perpetua/ GMA Network. Retrieved September 6, 2021.
- http://www.rappler.com//nation/59826-enrile-jpe-jinggoy-charged-plunder-pdaf-scam Rappler. Retrieved September 6, 2021.
- https://news.abs-cbn.com/focus/09/15/17/timeline-jinggoy-estradas-pork-barrel-scam-case ABS-CBN. Retrieved September 6, 2021.
- https://cnnphilippines.com/news/2021/7/7/Revilla-graft-plunder-acquittal-other-PDAF-cases-.html?fbclid=IwAR0mzkVE3Mpo1xk9mrsyKEXgerNp1hJbbOdU1evAqLZUsbJwQb4-toEklqk CNN Philippines. Retrieved September 6, 2021.
- https://www.cnnphilippines.com/news/2020/5/3/Jinggoy-Estrada-brought-to-police-station-quarantine-violations-San-Juan.html CNN Philippines. Retrieved September 6, 2021.