International Inner Wheel
The International Inner Wheel (IIW) is an international women's service voluntary organization. It is considered as one of the largest in the world, with more than 108,000 members in 3,895 clubs in more than 104 countries.
The IIW traces its origins to Mrs. Margarette Golding, a nurse and the wife of a Rotarian who started the Inner Wheel movement in 1924. Together with twenty-seven women who are wives of Rotary International members, they established the Manchester Club in January 10, 1924. This date is considered as the official date when the Inner Wheel was commenced.
Since then, Inner Wheel clubs were established not only in Great Britain and Ireland but in other parts of the world. In July 1, 1967, all Inner Wheel Clubs became members of the International Inner Wheel (IIW). The IIW's first convention was first held in 1970 in The Hague, Netherlands.
In 2012, the 15th IIW Convention decided to allow the admission of women who have no connections with Rotarians or Inner Wheel members.
The IIW has three key objectives:
- To Promote True Friendship
- To Encourage the Ideals of Personal Service
- To Foster International Understanding
Any women who shares these three objectives can join the organization. These objectives are achieved through the Club events.
IIW clubs take part in a wide range of voluntary work which aims to provide people better living conditions. Such works are in the following:
The IIW organizes programs which aims to pursue a society where women are given equal opportunity and are equally represented in sectors of society. Such programs include providing educational materials for girls, participating in events which aims to promote women's rights, organizing awareness campaigns and medical missions, among others.
The IIW takes a proactive approach in combatting the causes of conflict through projects which aims to tackle poverty, inequality, ethnic tension, lack of access to education, and unequal distribution of resources. Such projects include participation in campaigns for peace, supporting medical missions and other projects, among others.
Mothers and Children
The IIW organizes projects which aims to provide high-quality healthcare and support for mothers and their children. Such projects include organizing medical missions and charity projects, donation of essential goods, among others.
The IIW also organizes projects which helps impoverished communities to be free both financially and socially. Such projects include infrastructure projects, donation of essential goods, among others.
The IIW supports communities in providing education, specifically to reduce gender disparities and increase adult education through various projects. Such projects include supporting local educational institutions, providing essential needs, among others.
The IIW organizes projects in order to educate and prepare communities in combatting life-changing and life-threatening diseases. Such projects include the installation of clean sources of water, organizing seminars, awareness projects, and food distribution drives, among others.
- "About IIW." International Inner Wheel, accessed January 5, 2021, https://www.internationalinnerwheel.org/about-iiw/about-international-inner-wheel.html
- "The First Ten Years, From a club to the Association," International Inner Wheel, accessed January 5, 2021, https://www.internationalinnerwheel.org/about-iiw/history-of-the-iiw/the-first-ten-years.html
- "The First Ten Years."
- "Global Expansion," International Inner Wheel, accessed January 5, 2021, https://www.internationalinnerwheel.org/about-iiw/history-of-the-iiw/global-expansion.html
- "Global Expansion."
- "Global Expansion."
- "Our objectives," International Inner Wheel, accessed January 5, 2021, https://www.internationalinnerwheel.org/about-iiw/our-objectives.html
- "Our objectives."
- "Women's Rights," International Inner Wheel, accessed January 5, 2021, https://www.internationalinnerwheel.org/our-causes/womens-rights.html
- "Women's Rights."
- "Peace," International Inner Wheel, accessed January 5, 2021, https://www.internationalinnerwheel.org/our-causes/peace.html
- "Mothers and Children," International Inner Wheel, accessed January 5, 2021, https://www.internationalinnerwheel.org/our-causes/mothers-and-children.html
- "Mothers and Children."
- "Poverty," International Inner Wheel, accessed January 5, 2021, https://www.internationalinnerwheel.org/our-causes/poverty.html
- "Education," International Inner Wheel, accessed January 5, 2021, https://www.internationalinnerwheel.org/our-causes/education.html
- "Diseases," International Inner Wheel, accessed January 5, 2021, https://www.internationalinnerwheel.org/our-causes/disease.html