To read this article in Filipino, see Fidelis Atienza.
Fidelis Atienza (18 December 1918 – 20 March 2021) was a Roman Catholic nun, baker, and confectioner. She was a member of the Religious of the Good Shepherd (RGS). While in her ministry in Baguio City in the 1970s, Atienza created the Good Shepherd ube jam, a food souvenir or pasalubong which would become widely associated with the city.
Fidelis Atienza was born on 18 December 1918 in Batangas City. She entered the Novitiate of the Good Shepherd in Los Angeles, California in 1951. She established the Marian Bakery in the 1960s. Among her creations in the bakery were crispies made from communion host cuttings.
According to the Religious of the Good Shepherd, Atienza created the eponymous ube jam around 1976, when she was assigned to Baguio. With the product proving to be popular, the religious group used the proceeds from its sale to provide education to thousands of youths. The ube jam's recipe was reportedly improved upon by Sr. Assumption Ocampo.
Atienza's ministry also included community apostolates in Cebu, Quezon City, and Tagaytay, as well as in places abroad such as France, Hong Kong and Rome. She fulfilled most of her ministry at the Maryridge Retreat House in Tagaytay.
- Untitled. Maryridge Retreat and Renewal Center (20 March 2021). “...unite our prayers with yours for the eternal peace of +Sr. Fidelis Atienza RGS. She returned to our Shepherd God at 102 (December 18, 1918-March 20, 2021)unite our prayers with yours for the eternal peace of +Sr. Fidelis Atienza RGS. She returned to our Shepherd God at 102 (December 18, 1918-March 20, 2021)...”
- "Nun behind famed Good Shepherd ube jam dies at 102", 21 March 2021.
- "Good Shepherd nun behind ube jam dies at 102", The Philippine Star, 22 March 2021.
- "Sister Fidelis Atienza, nun behind Good Shepherd ube jam, dies at 102", Rappler, 21 March 2021. (in en)
- "Good Shepherd nun behind famous ube jam dies at 102 —", Asian Journal News, 24 March 2021.
- "Sister Fidelis, 'Mastermind' of Good Shepherd's Ube Jam, Dies at 102", Esquire, 21 March 2021.
- "The secret in Good Shepherd Sisters' recipes", ABS-CBN News, 7 May 2009.