Enrique Mendiola

From Wikipilipinas
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Enrique V. Mendiola (3 May 1859 – 30 March 1914) was an educator and a textbook author. He was a member of the first Board of Regents of the University of the Philippines. Mendiola Street, the historical thoroughfare near Malacañang Palace in San Miguel, Manila, was named after him.

Early Life and Education

Mendiola was born in San Miguel, Manila on 3 May 1859 to Quintin Mendiola, a blacksmith, and Maria Escolastica Victorino. He spent his elementary years at the Colegio de San Vicente de Paul then continued his studies at the Escuela Normal de Maestros. Jose Rizal was his schoolmate in the Ateneo Municipal de Manila where he finished the first two years of segunda enseñanza (secondary school).

For a year, he studied under schoolmaster Benedicto Luna and went on to enroll in Colegio de San Juan de Letran where he graduated with a degree in Bachelor of Arts. He studied law at the University of Santo Tomas where he finished with a sobrasaliente (substitute) qualification in April 1886.

While in his senior year in law school, he graduated as professor of segunda enseñanza. He took a course in philosophy and letters after getting his degree in law.

Career

Mendiola started to teach after graduating from law school. He founded the La Invencion de la Santa Cruz school in Ongpin Street opposite the fire station in Santa Cruz, Manila. His school first offered courses from the primary years to the first three years of secondary school but later on offered the full segunda enseñanza curriculum. By the second semester of the academic year of 1898-1899, the school started to give English language courses under an American teacher.

La Invencion de la Santa Cruz was considered one of the two outstanding Filipino-supervised schools at that time. The other was the one directed by Ignacio B. Villamor in Intramuros, Manila. Among the distinguished alumni of the school were Macario Adriatico and Tomas Cordero, founder of the Colegio del Santisimo Rosario.

Mendiola had to stop teaching in the second phase of the Philippine Revolution. He was named director of the short-lived Instituto Burgos founded in Malolos by the Revolutionary government on 4 October 1898.

He was back in Manila in time for the inauguration of the Liceo de Manila on 29 June 1900. He worked there alongside Ignacio B. Villamor, Manuel Roxas, and Leon Ma. Guerrero, teaching math, algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. He became president of the school board and director after Guerrero resigned.

Due to conflicts with his colleagues, he left Liceo de Manila and founded Instituto Burgos in 1906. The school was located in the same building where his first school was housed. It offered primary and secondary education and, during its early years, bachelor of arts degrees.

Mendiola was a textbook writer. Among his academic works were:

  • Programa de Gramática Castellana (1892) - a textbook for the first course in Spanish grammar,
  • Programa de Gramática Castellana y Latina (1893),
  • Programa de Historia Universal (1892),
  • El Instructor Filipino (1898) - in collaboration with Ignacio B. Villamor,
  • Doctrina Civil (1901),
  • A puntes Sobre la Historia de Filipinas (1910),
  • Discurso Leido en la Apertura de Estudios Académicos el 12 de Junio de 1910, and
  • Principios de Moral y Educación Civica (1910).

He also founded and edited the weekly school paper, La Alborada.

Along with Trinidad Pardo de Tavera, Rafael Palma, and Jose Rosales, Mendiola was named member of the first Board of Regents upon the founding of the University of the Philippines.

He was appointed as one of the first two elected members of the municipal board of Manila on 10 November 1908 and served until 31 December 1909.

Family

Mendiola married Felipa Alonso on 5 April 1884. They had no children. After his death on 30 March 1914, a street was named after him. Mendiola Street today is within the University Belt area where colleges and universities in Manila are found.

The Instituto Burgos continued to operate under the supervision of Mendiola’s widow. After she died, the school was directed by Filomeno Maravillas, Emilio Virata, and Juan Cordero until 1924.

References

  • Manuel, E. Arsenio. 1955. Dictionary of Philippine Biography, Volume 1. Quezon City: Filipiniana Publications.
  • “Enrique Mendiola.” Wikifilipino, Para sa Filipino. Accessed 1 March 2010.

Citation

Wiki.png

Original content from WikiPilipinas. under GNU Free Documentation License. See full disclaimer.