Eduardo Manahan Año (born 26 October 1961) is a government official and Philippine Army veteran. He is currently the secretary of the Department of the Interior and Local Government under the administration of President Rodrigo Duterte. From 2016 to 2017, he was the chief of staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines.
Año has been at the forefront of the government’s efforts to contain and combat COVID-19 pandemic, which included leading the call for community quarantines and lockdowns and vaccine rollout. Contracting the virus twice, Año, together with Department of Health Secretary Francisco Duque III, has been criticized for handling the response efforts. 
Life and career
Eduardo Manahan Año was born on 26 October 1961 in San Mateo, Rizal. He graduated cum laude from the Philippine Military Academy in 1983 and took courses in the U.S. Army Intelligence Center and School in Arizona and the International Institute for Counter-Terrorism in Israel. He garnered a 100 percent rating in the International Officer Intelligence Course at Fort Huachuca, Arizona in 1993.
Año held various positions during his years in the military, including as commander of the Intelligence and Security Group of the Philippine Army, chief of the Intelligence Service of the Armed Forces of the Philippines, commanded of the 10th Infantry Division, commanding general of the Philippine Army, and finally, chief of staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines.
Secretary of the Department of the Interior and Local Government
Año, who retired from military service in 2017, became the officer-in-charge of the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) in January 2018. He could not be sworn in as secretary yet as Republic Act 6975 prevents AFP veterans from becoming secretary of the DILG within a year of their retirement or resignation. He was formally sworn in as the department’s secretary on 6 November 2018.
Eduardo Año is married to Jean Joselyn Maria R. Dioso. They have four children.
- 'Bakit ko tanggalin?': Duterte admits some Cabinet officials want Duque fired. ABS-CBN News (July 1, 2021).
- Duque not a ‘hero,’ should be blamed for ‘failed’ pandemic response — Drilon. Inquirer.net (May 5, 2021).
- DOH dodges string of controversies under Duterte. Inquirer.net (July 21, 2021).
- Lacson: Duque's failure cost Philippines Pfizer vaccines by January. GMA News Online (December 17, 2021).
- Philippines failing to contain coronavirus, despite multiple lockdowns. South China Morning Post (August 17, 2020).
- Eduardo M. Año.
- Profile: Major General Eduardo M. Año, Commanding General of the Army (July 15, 2015).
- "Analyzing Año", ABS-CBN News, January 6, 2019.
- "Lt. Gen. Eduardo Año is new AFP Chief of Staff", Philippine Canadian Inquirer, December 7, 2016. (in en-CA)
- "Año is now officially DILG chief", ABS-CBN News, November 6, 2018.