Diocesan Shrine and Parish of Our Lady of the Abandoned
The Diocesan Shrine and Parish of Our Lady of the Abandoned, also known as Our Lady of the Abandoned Church is located in Marikina, Manila. It was first built by the Augustinians in Chorillo (now Barangay Barangka) in 1572. It was transferred to Jesus de la Peña when the Jesuits took over in 1630. In 1687, it was rebuilt with stone and transferred to its present site. It was completed in 1690.
The church was greatly damaged during the American colonial period. The bell tower incurred more damages during the Second World War. Reinforcements were done in 1951.
Marikina City is the shoe capital of the Philippines.
- National Historical Institute official website
- National Historical Institute. Historical Markers: Metropolitan Manila. Manila: National Historical Institute, 1993.