David Bunevacz (born December 20, 1968) is a Filipino-American businessman, model and former decathlete. He is the son of Joseph Bunevacz (Hungarian-American) and Filomena Ismaela (Filipino) in Torrance, California. As a track and field teacher/instructor/coach, Joseph Bunevacz was instrumental in providing his son David with the training and focus needed to compete in the grueling multi-platform decathlon.
From 1983 to 1987, David attended Praclete High School in Lancaster, California. David participated in track and field events and began training for the decathlon. He still holds the school's records for high hurdles, high jump and long jump. David also won the Arco Jesse Owens National Track and Field Championship in the high jump.
A multifaceted athlete, Bunevacz trained in a wide variety of track in field sports throughout high school and college, including:
- High hurdle
- High jump
- Long jump
- Javelin throw
- Shot put
- 400 metres
- Discus throw
- Pole vault
In 1988 David enrolled at University of California at Los Angeles. During his college years David Bunevacz competed for the Bruins track and field team, eventually becoming team captain. He set the university record for the javelin throw. In 1991, David won the Pac-10 meet. He suffered a spinal injury from weight lifting which required surgery but has had no lasting consequences. Bunevacz graduated UCLA in 1993 with a degree in Business Management and Sociology.
Bunevacz's strongest events were the throws, in particular the javelin throw. In a class at the Rizal Coliseum, David tossed a javelin from a standing start that was just a few meters short of the prevailing Philippine record. By the age of 21, he had a personal record of 7,316 points for the decathlon.
After graduation David was recruited by Philippine Sports Commission Chairman Philip Juico to represent the Philippines in numerous international sporting events including the Southeast Asian Games (SEAG). Bunevacz agreed to represent his mother's country and began training in earnest.
In 1997 David earned a gold medal at the SEAG after the original medalists were disqualified over failed drug tests.
He married Filipino actress, model and author Jessica Rodriguez in October 2000. The family resides in Los Angeles with their three children Hayca, Grant and Breana Bunevacz.
- http://www.paracletehs.org/ourpages/auto/2012/3/7/52428744/TF%20040712%20Paraclete%20All%20Time%20Track%20_%20Field-3.pdfTemplate:Dead link
- Young Track And Field Stars To Compete Saturday In Arco Jesse Owens Games Regional Championships - Free Online Library. Thefreelibrary.com (1994-06-02).
- UCLA Bruins Records and Results.
- "Pepperdine's Ace Throws Off CSUN Batters - Page 2 - Los Angeles Times", Articles.latimes.com, 1992-05-07.
- CART, JULIE. "TRACK AND FIELD / NCAA CHAMPIONSHIPS : It's a Game of Seconds for UCLA Women", 1991-05-29. (in en-US)
- Cart, Julie. "They're Separate but Unequal : Track and field: UCLA and USC men have different strengths. Women's teams are more alike. - Los Angeles Times", Articles.latimes.com, 1992-04-10.
- SEA GAMES PHILIPPINE MEDALLISTS SINCE 1991 (2004).
- Bunevacz Weds Jessica Four Times | The Manila Bulletin Newspaper Online. Mb.com.ph (2000-10-12).