Jump to navigation Jump to search
The Calvo Building is a historic building along no. 266 Escolta corner Soda Streets, Binondo, Manila, Philippines. Built in 1938, it is an outstanding example of beaux-arts architecture. It served as the home of the radio station DZBB-AM before moving to its present location in Diliman, Quezon City. It now houses the Escolta Museum which contains memorabilia from the past. The building is designed by Ar. Fernando H. Ocampo, Sr..
Marker from the National Historical Commission of the Philippines
The historical marker entitled Gusaling Calvo was installed on August 14, 2018 inside the building. It was installed by the National Historical Commission of the Philippines.
|Original Filipino Text||Translated English Text|
|ITINAYO AYON SA DISENYO NI FERNANDO OCAMPO SA LUPANG PAG-AARI NG MAG-ASAWANG ANGEL CALVO AT EMILIANA MORTERA, 1938. NAGING OPISINA NG MGA KUMPANYANG PANGNEGOSYO AT PANGKABUHAYAN, 1938 - 1944. PANSAMANATALANG GINAMIT NG JAPANESE IMPERIAL FORCES, NOBYEMBRE 1944. NASIRA NOONG LABANAN SA MAYNILA, 1945. IPINAAYOS, 1946. ITINATAG ANG MUSEO NG GUSALING CALVO SA IKALAWANG PALAPAG, 1994. ISA SA MGA NANANATILING GUSALING ITINAYO NOONG MGA UNANG BAHAGI NG SIGLO 20 SA DAANG ESCOLTA.||Built under the designs of Fernando Ocampo on the land owned by the couple Angel Calvo and Emiliana Mortera, 1938. Became offices of commercial companies, 1938 - 1944. Temporarily used by Japanese Imperial Forces, November 1944. Destroyed during the Battle of Manila, 1945. Restored, 1946 Calvo Building Museum was established on its second floor, 1994. One of the remaining buildings from the earlier part of the 20th century along Escolta Street.|