Borongan Cathedral

From Wikipilipinas
Jump to navigation Jump to search

The Borongan Cathedral or the Cathedral Parish of the Nativity of Our Lady is a church located in Borongan, Eastern Samar. It is the seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Borongan.

History

The church was first constructed using rough fragments of broken stone in 1710 under the supervision of the Jesuit Fr. Francisco Diez. It was burned, and subsequently rebuilt in 1781 under the supervision of Fr. Roque de San Jose or de Osma. Fr. Juan Navarrete had a new roof installed in 1843 and facilitated the construction of a circular bell tower ten years later. The convent was then constructed from 1895 to 1897. Its façade was restored.

When the Diocese of Borongan was created in 1960, the church was designated as its cathedral.

Location

Borongan is located 219 km from Tacloban City.

Reference

  • Layug, Benjamin L. A Tourist Guide to Notable Philippine Churches. Quezon City: New Day Publishers, 2007.