Basilica Minore of the Infant Jesus and Immaculate Conception
The Basilica Minore of the Infant Jesus and Immaculate Conception in Batangas City was initially built in 1581 with improvised materials by Augustinian Father Diego Mojica. It was gutted by fire in 1615. Due to the increased population, Pedro Cuesta, the parish priest, undertook the construction after having the old church torn down. It was completed in 1857. It was granted Basilica status by Pope Pius XII. The basilica measures 71.45m long, 14.27m wide and 12m high. It features a Baroque facade. It houses the image of the Santo Niño ng Batangan statue. The convent was initially constructed in 1693 with molave posts and reef stone. The present convent was used as a school building.
The facade is planned along neoclassical lines. Four projecting pilasters support the facade, its great size contrasts with the recessed, narrow and elongated fenestrations of the second storey.
A triangular pediment is flanked by two belfries crowned with campaniles, underlining the vertical movement of the facade together with the bell tower to the church's right.
- Galende, Pedro G. Philippine Church Facades. Quezon City: Filipiniana.net, 2007.
- Layug, Benjamin L. A Tourist Guide to Notable Philippine Churches. Quezon City: New Day Publication, 2007.