Baguio City Cathedral
Baguio Cathedral is the biggest Catholic church in Baguio and is the center of religious activities in the city, such as during the Holy Week when thousands of devotees arrive from Metro Manila and the provinces. Visitors desiring to visit Baguio on a tour should avoid coming up to the city during this week. Not only is the city crowded with people, it is difficult to find rooms in hotels and inns and the prices of native handicraft, souvenirs, vegetables, flowers, food, and other commodities & services are increased.
On Sundays and other special Catholic holidays, you will find vendors along the stairway and also at the church's open patio selling flowers, balloons, newspapers, sweepstake tickets, candles, rosary beads, and other religious articles. Beside the cathedral is a parking lot that also serves as a view deck for Baguio's surroundings including the Baguio Athletic Bowl, Burnham Park, Mount Sto. Tomas, and Baguio City Hall.
The construction of the cathedral by phases was begun on a hill which was originally referred to as "Kampo" by the native Ibalois. It was later called Mount Mary by a Belgian Catholic Mission headed by Fr. Carlu, CICM, who was then the parish priest. The cathedral was finally consecrated in 1936 and dedicated to Our Lady of Atonement. During World War II it became an evacuation center and withstood the Japanese carpet bombing of the city in 1945, thereby saving thousands of lives
On July 14, 2004, it was reported in the papers that the statue of St. Therese wept with what appeared to be blood. According to the news, a churchgoer noticed the tears and pointed them out to a church helper.