Ateneo Debate Society
The Ateneo Debate Society (ADS) is currently one of Asia's most awarded debate institutions, having garnered numerous awards and set several records both nationally and internationally. Founded in 1991, the Ateneo Debate Society is Asia's most-awarded debate institution. The ADS has won the National Debate Championships seven out of nine times and the Asian Championships for six consecutive years. As one of the Top Ten debate societies in the world, the ADS has built for the Ateneo de Manila University a global reputation for debate excellence.
The ADS is both a varsity team and a service-oriented student organization. As a service organization, the ADS was named one of the Ten Accomplished Youth Organizations in the Philippines by President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo. Its nationwide Debate Education Program gained international recognition as the subject of the winning entry for the 2006 World Bank International Essay Competition.
The ADS considers the Konrad Adenauer Foundation, Mr. Manuel Pangilinan of the Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company, and the Ateneo de Manila University administration as strategic partners in its mission of promoting Philippine debate excellence and the creation of a vibrant democracy, particularly among the youth.
- National Champion for seven of the nine years of the Championship's existence
- Asian Champion for the six straight years
- Reached the Final 8 of the World Championships
- Ranked 5th in the world, above the entire US Ivy League
- Named as one of the Ten Accomplished Youth Organizations (TAYO) in the Philippines
Service Oriented functions
- Debate training for secondary school and university students, faculties, moderators, and coaches, including technical assistance
- Leadership training and policy analysis
- Research publication
- Special lectures, public fora, and symposia