Archdiocesan Shrine and Parish of St. Michael the Archangel (Argao, Cebu)

From Wikipilipinas
Jump to navigation Jump to search

The Archdiocesan Shrine and Parish of St. Michael the Archangel is a church located in Argao, Cebu.

History

The parish was founded on October 16, 1733. The church structure was constructed under the supervision of Fr. Mateo Perez from 1803 to 1836. It was partly damaged together with the convent during a typhoon in 1876.

Features

The church measures 72 m long, 16 m wide, and 10m high. Inside the church are murals on the ceiling done by the country's best painters. The murals depicting biblical scenes was done by Canuto Avila; while the murals depicting St. Michael defeating Lucifer and his followers was done by Ray Francia.

The church has a plain Rococo style façade, which is separated into three by horizontal cornices and into three segments by Corinthian columns. A small relief above the main door depicts the Augustinian symbol.

The five-level bell tower was constructed by Bishop Santos Gomez Marañon in 1830, with eight bells and a clock. It is connected to the church by a multipurpose structure.

The convent, constructed also by Fr. Mateo Perez, houses the minor seminary of San Carlos.

Location

Argao is located 66.9 km south of Cebu City.

Reference

  • Layug, Benjamin L. A Tourist Guide to Notable Philippine Churches. Quezon City: New Day Publishers, 2007.