Ang Tundo Man May Langit Din
“Ang Tundo Man May Langit Din” is a novel written by Andres Cristobal Cruz. Its plot revolves around people in love, whether with another person or an idea, with social backgrounds that dramatize the modern Filipino experience.
The novel tells the story of several characters with different issues. Its main character is Victor, who belongs to a poor family. He believes that Tondo, despite its tainted public image, has its good side, and he is willing to prove it.
Another character, Alma, is a rich kid who falls in love with Victor. Other characters are also introduced: Flor, who is impregnated by Tonyo without knowing that he already has a wife; and Alma's father, who has a sexual connection with their helper Dolores; among others.
- Victor del Mundo – He lives in Tondo and wishes that someday he will find “heaven” for his place.
- Alma Fuertes – She is a rich kid who chooses to live a simple life. She believes that heaven is in Tondo and the heaven of her world is Victor.
- Flor – She is a childhood friend of Victor who once became a beloved part of his life, and shared his dreams for Tondo. She marries Tonyo and later discovers that he already has a family.
- Tonyo – He is the father of Flor's child.
- Chabeng – She is Tonyo’s real wife, and has a severe illness.
- Aling Sion – She is Victor's mother.
- Lukas – He is Victor's older brother who is popular in their place.
- Tatong Bamban – He is Lukas' close friend who helps him with his misfortunes.
- Paeng Gasti – He is one of Lukas' close friends.
- Pilo – He is one of Lukas' close friends.
- Dolores – She is the former helper of Alma's family who was raped by Alma's father.
- Mr. Fuertes – He is Alma's father.
- Mrs. Fuertes – She is Alma's mother.
- Pocholo – He is Alma's brother.
- Monching – He is Alma's close friend who has deep affection for her.
- Minnie – She is Alma's cousin.