The Abucay Church is a church located in Abucay, Bataan.
The spiritual administration of the town of Abucay was entrusted to the Dominicans in 1588. Eventually, the Dominicans had a church built in the early 1600s. It was in this church where Tomas Pinpin printed the earliest books in the Philippines together with his co-author and teacher, Fr. Jose Blancas de San Jose.
On June 23, 1647, the church was a witness to a battle between Pampango defenders and the Dutch. About two hundred Pampangos died and forty others together with Pampanga's Spanish alcalde mayor Don Antonio de Cabrera, Fr. Geronimo Sotomayor, and Fr. Tomas Ramos were taken to Batavia.
On September 16, 1852, the church suffered damages by an earthquake. It also suffered damages due to a fire in 1870. It was eventually rebuilt by Fr. Jose Diego Pelaez. The church still houses the bells donated to them in 1839 and 1859.
- About Bataan Province. Islandproperties.com (Accessed 15 June 2010).
- National Historical Institute. Historical Markers: Regions V-XII. Manila: National Historical Institute, 1994.
- Philippine Historical Sites, Churches and Religious Shrines. Philippinecountry.com (Accessed 15 June 2010).
- 1st Abucay Catholic Church. Bataan.gov.ph (Accessed 15 June 2010).
- National Historical Institute official website