2017 Pacific typhoon season
Tropical Storm Nangka (Feria)
On June 16, an area of disturbed weather formed about Template:Convert to the northeast of Palau Island. In the next few days, the disturbance showed improvement but, its LLCC was undefined. Early on June 20, the disturbance suddenly strengthened and its LLCC began to consolidate as well as significant banding all over the system. The disturbance was also located under low vertical wind shear. Early on June 22, JTWC issued an advisory that the potential of the formation of a significant tropical cyclone within 24 hours was upgraded to "Fair" because of its well-defined LLCC and was located in a favorable area. Around 0600 UTC that same day, the JMA classified the disturbance as a minor Tropical Depression, while the JTWC released a TCFA on the disturbance. This was because convection had begun to organize and upper-level analysis showed a cyclonic center on the east, just west of Guam and a cyclonic flow around its consolidating low-level circulation Centre. After 4 hours, JTWC issued its first warning and named it as Tropical Depression 04W. Early on June 23, PAGASA issued its first warning on the Tropical Depression and assigned its local named "Feria". In the afternoon, Nangka made its first landfall over Hernani, Eastern Samar at 5:00 pm PST (0900 UTC). and made its second landfall in Masbate around 10:00PM PST ( 1400 UTC). On June 24, Nangka rapidly slowed down while moving over Mindoro. The storm then made its third landfall at Calapan City, Mindoro at 12 am PST/ 0430 UTC. After crossing Mindoro for 8 hours, PAGASA downgraded Nangka into a Tropical Depression, while both the JMA and JTWC still classified Nangka as a tropical storm on that day. Early on June 25, Nangka move into the South China Sea, with PAGASA issuing their final warning. In the evening of that same day, both JMA and JTWC downgraded Nangka into a tropical depression due to its low-level circulation center is started to deteriorate. By midday of June 26, it made its fourth landfall in Guangdong province in China, passing through the northern part of Hong Kong. In the afternoon of that day, both JMA and JTWC issued their final warning on Nangka. Its remnants completely dissipated by June 27.
In Eastern Samar, more than 800 people were stranded after ferry service was canceled. High winds downed a large tree, destroying the roof of one home and damaging three cars. Unusually strong severe thunderstorms developed over parts of the Philippines along the outer bands of Nangka. In San Pascual, Bauan and Batangas City, large hail fell during a strong storm. Residents reported that they have never seen hail before. In Barangay, 4 in Bauan town, a rare tornado struck, downing several trees, damaging homes and signs. Heavy rains produced by the storm also flooded numerous regions, some reporting waist-deep water. Later reports confirmed the tornado destroyed 23 homes. In Cebu, one person was killed and seven were left missing. At least 500 people were also left homeless due to the storm. In Cavite, 7000 was stranded on the port due to Nangka's winds and heavy rains. about Template:Convert is the water wave in Cavite. In Albay, more than 300 ship passengers were also stranded at the Albay port, Tabaco, Albay. In Navotas and Malabon, the Navotas — Malabon river produced a Template:Convert high tide in the area.
As of 24 June, Nangka (Feria) has caused 6 deaths and left 11 people missing. Property damage from the storm is estimated at PHP 2.8 million (US$54,000).
- Significant Tropical Weather Advisory for the Western and South Pacific Oceans 22-06-09 20z. Joint Typhoon Warning Center.
- Significant Tropical Weather Advisory for the Western and Southern Pacific Oceans 02-05-09 06z. Joint Typhoon Warning Center (2009-05-22).
- Tropical Cyclone Formation Alert 22-05-09 23z. Joint Typhoon Warning Center (2009-05-22).
- JMA Advisory 22-06-09 00z. Japan Meteorological Agency.
- Staff Writer (June 23, 2009). Signal No.1 up over Metro Manila as Feria slams into Borongan, E. Samar. GMA News.
- Jeannette Andrade (June 23, 2009). Fallen tree damages 3 cars at DoJ. Inquirer.
- Sarita Kare (June 23, 2009). Hailstorm, tornado hit Batangas towns. ABS-CBN Southern Tagalog.
- NDCC: 1 dead, 7 missing as 'Feria' pounds Cebu (June 24, 2009).
- Alice Nicart (June 24, 2009). "Feria" leaves 500 homeless; Samar PDCC activated. Daily News Reader.
- Big waves destroy houses | 24 Oras | GMA News Online. Gmanews.tv (2009-06-24).
- 300 ship passengers stranded due to 'Feria' | 24 Oras | GMA News Online. Gmanews.tv (2009-06-24).
- Parts of Metro Manila in deep flood | 24 Oras | GMA News Online. Gmanews.tv (2009-06-24).
- Staff Writer (June 24, 2009). Pagasa: 75 km/h winds won't be felt in Metro Manila; 6 dead, 11 missing. GMA News TV.