Zeus A. Salazar, is a historian, an anthropologist and the proponent of the Pantayong Pananaw.
In 1955, he finished Batsilyer ng Sining sa Kasaysayan, graduating as a summa cum laude from UP Diliman. He obtain his graduate degree from Sorbonne University in Paris where he was awarded with "highest distinction."
He was former chairperson of the University of the Philippines-Diliman Department of History (1987-1989) and a former dean of the university's College of Social Sciences and Philosophy (1989-1992). He obtained his bachelor's degree in history, summa cum laude, from the University of the Philippines in 1955 and finished his doctoral studies in ethnology at Universite de Paris (1968). Salazar is fluent in different languages, among them, Spanish, French, German, Russian and Bahasa Melayu.
He is considered one of the most illustrious historians to follow the great nationalist historians Teodoro A. Agoncillo and Renato Constantino. His conceptual framework of Pantayong Pananaw in Philippine social science refreshened the nationalist perspective that lost its luster after the Marcos years. Pantayong Pananaw has provided a powerful framework for a new generation of Philippine scholars in writing the history and culture of the Filipino "inert masses."
According to Ricamela Palis, Salazar in his many papers posited that:
With the arrival of Western colonizers, Philippine "historiography was framed in Western language and ideology," a bias that has been continued for several generations of Philippine historians. Salazar devoted many of his writings to redress this imbalance of Filipino self-representation and discourse. His analysis affected many of the approaches to writing social sciences, especially psychology. For example, he enumerated the four traditions upon which Philippine psychology was rooted, as follows:
- Akademiko-siyentipikal na Sikolohiya, or American-oriented Western Psychology as studied presently
- Akademiko-pilosopiya na Sikolohiya, or rational psychology established by friar-professors of the University of Santo Tomas.
- Taal na Sikolohiya, or Ethnic Psychology that are based on Filipino indigenous concepts such as utang na loob or
- Sikolohiyang Siko-medikal or Psycho-medical Religious Psychology using native healing traditions and religion
Books and Pamphlets
- Ang Kasaysayan: Diwa at Lawak (1974)
- Kabihasnang Asyano: Isang Pangkasaysayang Introduksyon (1981/ 1990)
- The Ethnic Dimensions: Papers on Philippine Culture, History, and Psychology (1983)
- Kasaysayan ng Pilipinas: Isang Balangkas (1993)
- Agosto 29-30, 1896: Ang Pagsalakay ni Bonifacio sa Maynila (1994/1995)
- Talaarawan 1996; Handog sa Sentenaryo; Himagsikang 1896 (1995)
- Talaarawan 1997; Digma ng mga Anak ng Bayan; Himagsikang 1897 (1996)
- Ang Babaylan sa Kasaysayan ng Pilipinas (1996/ 1999)
- Ang Real ni Bonifacio bilang Teknikang Militar sa Kasaysayan ng Pilipinas (1997)
- Si Bonifacio at ang Kabayanihang Pilipino (1997)
- The Malayan Connection; Ang Pilipinas sa Dunia Melayu (1998)
- Ang Kartilya ni Emilio Jacinto at ang Diwang Pilipino sa Agos ng Kasaysayan (1999)
- Ang Manifesto ng Partido Komunista (2000)
- Mga Tula ng Pag-iral at Pakikibaka (2004)
- Liktao at Epiko: Ang Takip ng Tapayang Libingan ng Libmanan, Camarines Sur (2004)
- Pangulong Erap; Biograpiyang Sosyopulitikal at Pnagkalinangan ni Joseph Ejercito Estrada; Tomo I; Pinunong Bayan: Tungo sa Hamon ng EDSA II (2005)
- Ang Pilipinong "Banua"/"Banwa" sa Mundong Melano-Polynesiano (2006)
- “The Pantayo Perspective as a Civilizational Discourse.” Translated into English from Filipino by Ramon Guillermo. Southeast Asian Journal of Social Science 28, no. 1. (2000).
- “‘Philippine Studies’ and ‘Pilipinolohiya’: Past, Present and Future of Two Heuristic Views in The Study of the Philippines.” In The Malayan Connection: Ang Pilipinas sa Dunia Melayu, Zeus A. Salazar. Quezon City: Palimbagan ng Lahi,  1998.
- “The Matter with Influence: Our Asian Linguistic Ties.” In The Malayan Connection: Ang Pilipinas sa Dunia Melayu, Zeus A. Salazar. Quezon City: Palimbagan ng Lahi,  1998.
- “Wika ng Himagsikan, Lengguwahe ng Rebolusyon: Mga Suliranin ng Pagpapakahulugan sa Pagbubuo ng Bansa.” In Wika, Panitikan, Sining at Himagsikan, eds. Atoy Navarro and Raymund Abejo. Quezon City: LIKAS, 1998.
- “Ang Pagtuturo ng Kasaysayan sa Pilipino.” In Pantayong Pananaw: Ugat at Kabuluhan, eds. Atoy Navarro, Mary Jane Rodriguez and Vicente Villan. Mandaluyong: Palimbagang Kalawakan, 1997.
- “Ukol sa Wika at Kulturang Pilipino.” In Mga Piling Diskurso sa Wika at Lipunan, eds. Pamela C. Constantino and Monico M. Atienza. Quezon City: U.P. Press,  1996.
- “Paunang Salita.” In Pilipinolohiya: Kasaysayan, Pilosopiya at Pananaliksik, eds. Violeta V. Bautista and Rogelia Pe-Pua. Manila: Kalikasan Press, 1991.
- “Ang Pantayong Pananaw Bilang Diskursong Pangkabihasnan.” In Pilipinolohiya: Kasaysayan, Pilosopiya at Pananaliksik, eds. Violeta V. Bautista and Rogelia Pe-Pua. Manila: Kalikasan Press, 1991.
- “Ilang Batayan para sa isang Sikolohiyang Pilipino.” In Sikolohiyang Pilipino: Teorya, Metodo at Gamit, ed. Rogelia Pe-Pua. Quezon: UP Press, 1991.