Because WikiPilipinas.org believes that users shouldn’t have to provide personal information to participate in the free knowledge movement, users may:
- Read or use any Wikimedia Site without registering an account.
- Register for an account without providing a real name.
Because we want to understand how Wikimedia Sites are used so we can make them better for users, we collect some information when users:
- Make public contributions.
- Register an account or update user page.
- Use the Wikimedia Sites.
- Send us emails or participate in a survey or give feedback.
We are committed to:
- Using reasonable measures to keep users' information secure.
- Never selling users' information or sharing it with third parties for marketing purposes.
- Only sharing users' information in limited circumstances, such as to improve the Wikimedia Sites, to comply with the law, or to protect users and others.
- Retaining users' data for the shortest possible time that is consistent with maintaining, understanding, and improving the Wikimedia Sites, and our obligations under law.
- Any content a user adds or any changes that he or she makes to a Wikimedia Site will be publicly and permanently available.
- Our community of volunteer editors and contributors is a self-policing body. Certain administrators of the Wikimedia Sites, who are chosen by the community, use tools that grant them limited access to nonpublic information about recent contributions so they may protect the Wikimedia Sites and enforce policies.
Use of info
Types of Information We Receive From Users, How We Get It, & How We Use It
- Your Public Contributions: Whatever users post on Wikimedia Sites can be seen and used by everyone.
- Account Information & Registration: If users create an account, they do not need to give the WikiPilipinas.org team their real names.
- Information Related to Your Use of the Wikimedia Sites: WikiPilipinas.org may use common technologies to collect information about how users use Wikimedia Sites.
We use this information to enhance user experience and to develop new features.
- Information We Receive Automatically: Like other websites, WikiPilipinas.org receives some information about a user automatically when he or she visits the Wikimedia Sites. This information helps us administer the Wikimedia Sites and enhance user experience.
- Information We Collect: We use a variety of commonly-used technologies, like cookies, to understand how users use the Wikimedia Sites, make our services safer and easier to use, and to help create a better and more personalized experience for our users.
- Emails: Email addresses of users are confidential, except as provided in this Policy.
- Location Information: When a user accesses any Wikimedia Site, we automatically receive the IP address of the device he or she is using to access the Internet, which can be used to infer his or her geographical location.
- We may share a user's information when he or she gives us specific permission to do so.
- We will disclose a user's information in response to an official legal process only if we believe it to be legally valid. We will notify a user of such requests when possible.
- We, or users with certain administrative rights, may disclose information that is reasonably necessary to:
- Enforce or investigate potential violations of Foundation or community-based policies;
- Protect our organization, infrastructure, employees, contractors, or the public; or
- Prevent imminent or serious bodily harm or death to a person.
We may disclose personal information to our third-party service providers or contractors to help run or improve the Wikimedia Sites and provide services in support of our mission.
We may give volunteer developers and researchers access to systems that contain a users' information to allow them to protect, develop, and contribute to the Wikimedia Sites.
We may also share non-personal or aggregated information with third parties interested in studying the Wikimedia Sites.
When we share information with third parties for these purposes, we put reasonable technical and contractual protections in place to protect users' information consistent with this Policy.
The information that users post are public and can been seen and used by everyone.
We use a variety of physical and technical measures, policies, and procedures to help protect users' information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure.
We only keep users' personal information as long as necessary to maintain, understand, and improve the Wikimedia Sites or to comply with the law.