|Type of site||online Philippine encyclopedia|
WikiPilipinas.org is the world's largest open content Philippine internet encyclopedia based on a wiki platform which enables contributors to write and edit articles in real time. It branded itself as "hip and free" to emphasize that it provides more than just an encyclopedia.
The name Wikipilipinas is a conflation of the morphemes wiki (a type of collaborative website) and Pilipinas, the official name of the Philippines. It features anything and everything about the Philippines and has 3,290,649 articles written by volunteer writers and editors worldwide. It was founded by Gaspar Vibal, as part of the free knowledge advocacy of Vibal Foundation. It is envisioned as the sister portal of Filipiniana.net, a digital library that gives away free books and images. While Wikipilipinas.org focuses on popularly received knowledge, Filipiniana.net publishes more academic and scholarly materials.
WikiPilipinas has become the country's biggest collaborative writing project by providing Filipinos a technological platform for group writing and editing.
Wikipilipinas.org features 12 main knowledge portals:
In addition to these portals, Wikipilipinas.org features Wikiworx, mini-knowledge portals dedicated to more specific aspects of Philippine life:
- Philippine Barangays
- Filipino Food
- Paskong Pinoy
- Ethnolinguistic Groups
- Filipino Games
- Filipino Fiestas
- Filipino Books
- Filipino Televison Series
- Philippine Revolts, Battles, and Uprisings
- University of the Philippines Centennial Celebration
The website fosters a sense of community under its social network WikiBarkada-- a "friendster-like" website where Wikipinoys connect to share photos, music, videos, and exchange messages.
- Filipiniana.net, the Philippine digital library and online research portal for Philippine studies. It is the sister site of WikiPilipinas.org. Both portals are projects of Vibal Foundation.
- Wikipedia's encyclopedic article and review of Wikipilipinas.org
- More about Wikipilipinas' history and basic pillars
- Various reviews from mainstream media, as well as press releases
- Blogging community reviews