From WikiPilipinas: The Hip 'n Free Philippine Encyclopedia
Vibal Foundation is a non-stock, non-profit organization that serves as the socio-cultural development arm of the Vibal Publishing House, Inc.. It is through this foundation that the 55-year old educational publishing institution and its affiliate companies hope to fulfill corporate social responsibility.
The foundation was established by Esther A. Vibal, president of Vibal Publishing House, Inc. as a means to undertake various educational, social, and cultural programs that will contribute to the enhancement of the quality of life of the Filipino, especially the youth.
For many decades, Vibal has been at the forefront of the Philippine educational publishing industry, immersed in the development, publication, and distribution of school textbooks, teachers manuals, periodicals, and other instructional materials used in elementary and high school classrooms throughout the nation.
Cognizant of the complex needs of the Filipino in the areas of education as well as historical and cultural preservation, the company set forth to establish Vibal Foundation to undertake various programs and projects using new technologies in order to reach a bigger and more diverse audience.
 Vision & Mission
It is the vision of the people behind the Vibal Foundation to bring about positive changes in the lives of Filipinos everywhere through increased access to quality education. They envision a progressive, dynamic nation with a citizenry actively involved in all aspects of its socio-cultural and economic development.
This vision is anchored on the belief that improving the quality and state of education in the country can be the strongest contributory factor towards national development.
As such, it is the mission of Vibal Foundation to undertake various educational, cultural and social development programs, facilitating access to knowledge and learning while instilling pride in being a Filipino.
Its main thrusts include the preservation of Philippine historical, cultural, and artistic legacies; youth education and scholarship programs; women empowerment; and community building.
 Programs & Activities
Vibal Foundation’s flagship projects include Filipiniana.net, WikiPilipinas.org, ThePOC.net, and E-turo.org:
Launched in September 2006, Filipiniana.net is the largest, most advanced digital library and online research portal offering free, 24/7 access to rare, unpublished and out-of-print books, documents, and other materials on the Philippines categorized under History, Culture, Geography, Government, Society, Economy, Religion, and Science.
In addition, Filipiniana.net has set up microsites to allow easy, direct access to especially classified documents and artifacts within the site. These include:
• Philippine Revolutionary Records - a collection of notes, correspondence, declarations, and other documents pertaining to the Philippine Revolution against Spain and the Philippine-American War, covering the period from 1892 to 1906
• Batasan org - currently containing all the seven charters of the Philippines from the 1897 Biak-na-Bato Constitution to the current 1987 Constitution, the site will also contain all Philippine laws, Supreme Court rulings, etc.
• Virtual Blair & Robertson - a digitized version of the 1,400 documents contained in the 55-volume The Philippine Islands: 1493-1898 by American scholars Emma Helen Blair and James Alexander Robertson
• 100 Nobelang Tagalog - a collection of rare and out-of-print Tagalog novels published between 1864 to 1960
• 100 Pinoy Komiks - presents the all-time top 100 komiks serials published in the Philippines from 1929-2003
• Master Union Bibliography of the Philippines - the first and largest database of bibliographic listings, putting together all the major Philippine bibliographies compiled by Jose Toribio Medina, Wenceslao Retana, James Alexander Robertson, Trinidad Pardo de Tavera, Isacio Rodriguez, and others
• Premio Zobel.org - a collection of the best of FilHispanic literature as recognized by the country's longest-running literary award
• Image Database - a collection of rare photographs, maps, and postcards
• Knowledge Maps - useful navigational tools for managing and presenting the voluminous knowledge artifacts on Philippine studies
Filipiniana.net also engages in print publishing as part of its thrust to popularize knowledge about the Philippines. In its first year of operations, it published three books in partnership with respected private institutions. These are Fabian dela Rosa and His Times published in cooperation with the UP-Jorge B. Vargas Museum and Filipiniana Research Centre; Philippine Church Facades, a joint publication with the San Agustin Museum; and Occupation: The Latter Years with The De La Salle University Press.
WikiPilipinas.org was launched in 2007 as the partner portal of Filipiniana.net. While the latter offers scholarly content, WikiPilipinas.org offers popular knowledge about the country and its people. Its content is developed collaboratively by a community of Filipino volunteers with the objective of publishing 100,000 articles and catapulting the site to the top 10 wikis of the world, alongside the English, German, Polish, Japanese, French, Italian, Dutch, Swedish and Portuguese wikis.
Touted as the largest online Philippine encyclopedia, WikiPilipinas.org already boasts of nearly 50,000 articles classified into 12 knowledge portals: people and society; culture and arts; media and entertainment; sports and leisure; history; economy and business; government and politics; geography and travel; religion and beliefs; science and technology; Philippine communities; and Philippine internet directory.
The Philippine Online Chronicles (POC) is a weekly online publication that presents news articles with multiplicity of perspectives. Aside from actual facts of events, POC gathers and reports different viewpoints that relate to it. It digs information from both mainstream and alternative news sources such as blogs, student newspapers, and other alternative publications.
E-turo.org is envisioned to become the country's first and biggest online repository of teaching and learning tools covering the five basic subject areas of English, Filipino, Science, Math, and Social Studies. For teachers, there will be downloadable lesson plans, learning competencies, assignments and quizzes; while for students, there will be interactive lessons, exercises, workshops, and journals.
 The Organization