University of the Immaculate Conception
University of the Immaculate Conception
|Motto||100 Years of Marian Service and Commitment to Christian Education|
|Type||Private, Catholic University|
|Location||Davao City, Philippines|
The University of the Immaculate Conception is the first Catholic university in Davao City, Philippines founded by the religious of the Virgin Mary in 1905. It offers an exclusive-for-girls primary and intermediate education and coeducational secondary and tertiary courses. Its college level includes business related, science and technology, health related, arts, music, and education courses.
It was first named as St. Peter Parochial School when it was founded by the religious of the Virgin Mary in 1905. It started offering only exclusive-for-girls primary and intermediate courses. Later it added coeducational secondary and tertiary courses.
During the World War II in 1914, the school was forced to close but re-opened its high school in 1919 receiving the government's recognition.
In 1934, in response to the growing demand for Catholic education it took the name of “Immaculate Conception Academy.” However, it changed its name again to "Immaculate Conception College" when it added college degree courses- Pharmacy and Secretarial. In 1961, it added the Medical technology course. Thereafter, other courses where added like Engineering, Computer Science, and Information Technology. Today, the college is now called "University of the Immaculate Conception," and aside from offering elementary and high school education also has thirteen courses to offer incoming students.
University of the Immaculate Conception envisions the transformation of society in response to the signs of the times to be in harmony with God’s creation.
UIC family with their strong faith in God inspired by Mary, the Mother of God and guided by the life of Mother Ignacia del Espiritu Santo commit themselves to:
- Love and serve God and our neighbor in our personal and communal life;
- Respect the dignity of the human person, especially the poor;
- Work for justice, promote peace and preserve the integrity of creation;
- Promote and strengthen our Filipino culture and values in the midst of modernization and globalization;
- And exercise leadership in the pursuit of academic excellence in humanities, science and technology.
UIC has the following subjects offered to grade school students preparing them for the next school levels: Christian Living education, Science and Health, Mathematics, Filipino, English, Home Economics and Livelihood Education, Computer Literacy, Sibika at Kultura, HEKASI (Heograpiya, Kasaysayan at Sibika), Music, Art, Physical Education, and Scouting. It also offers scholarship for pupil who obtains the highest overall average in each grade level and will get the full tuition scholarship for as long as she/he maintains the same standing.
UIC High School has the following sujects: English, Algebra(freshmen), Intermediate Algebra(sophomores), Geometry(juniours), Trigonometry(seniors), Science and Tehnology(freshmen), Biology(sophomores), Chemistry(juniours), Physics(seniors), TLE, Araling Panlipunan, Christian Living and Values Education, Computer, Filipino, Music, Arts and Physical Education. It is also complete in facilities like Library, Audio Visual Room, Laboratories(Chemistry,Biology,Physics), Speech Laboratory, auditorium and Gymnasium.
Business Related Courses
- Accountancy - UIC presents a curriculum which will equip accounting students with analytical skills and strong foundations in financial accounting, auditing, taxation, finance and other related fields that would prepare them for the challenges and demands of the accountancy profession
- Commerce - a student may choose one from the three major courses in Commerce- Marketing, Management, Management Accounting
Science and Technology Courses
- Engineering - includes: Civil Engineering (CE), Electronics and Communications Engineering (ECE), Computer Engineering (CoE)
- Computer Science - aims to produce software developers with foundation in major areas in computer science, computer systems, information processing, programming languages and theory of computing and applications to meet the requirements in business, industrial and educational institutions and companies
- Information Management - aims to produce experts who possess the fundamental competencies that support productivity on today's information environments; meet the evolving needs of organization in the information society; lead as global managers of people, projects and sustainable systems through systems management and information technology
- Information Technology - presents a curriculum that offers broad technical understanding of current and emerging technologies in the Information Technology field
Health Related Courses
- Medical Technology - was offered in 1961, presents knowledgeable, efficient and accurate laboratory procedures
- Nutrition and Dietetics - the university aims to produce graduates who will respond to current issues and needs of the community in the implementation of sustainable nutrition programs and prime movers in research and experimentation of diets that will meet the nutritional needs of individuals
- Nursing - aims to meet the needs of the most-sought course in the country, UIC offers the proper education and practice necessary for understanding problems in nursing practice
- Pharmacy - aims to produce pharmacists who acquired and developed the knowledge, skills, aptitude and competencies in science research methods, processes and all those related to this field
- Chemistry - aims to have produce chemists who Are competent science research / workers with an ardent desire to contribute actively to scientific knowledge; creative thinkers and capable of original thought, whose potentials are developed through cultivation of an appreciation of moral and spiritual values integrated with humanistic disciplines that would establish a fuller realizationof their responsibility to society and to contribute proficiently to the advancement of scientific processes
Arts, Music, Education
University of the Immaculate Conception also offers Liberal Arts, Music and Education courses.
The university has school newspapers in Elementary, High School and College: College- UIC Research Journal, Nexus, and The Collegiate Immaculate (TCI). High School- Pink Seekers(English writers), Agos(Filipino writers) Elementary-
- Immaculate Conception College to undergo another accreditation. PIA Official Website (accessed on February 15, 2008)
- UIC Official Website (accessed on February 15, 2008)