Universal Robina Corp.
From WikiPilipinas: The Hip 'n Free Philippine Encyclopedia
Universal Robina Corporation is a publicly-listed company in the Philippine Stock Exchange and a core subsidiary of JG Summit Holdings, Inc. It was founded in 1954 when John Gokongwei, Jr. established Universal Corn Products, Inc., a cornstarch manufacturing plant in Pasig.
The Company is involved in a wide range of food-related businesses, including the manufacture and distribution of branded consumer foods, production of hogs and day-old chicks, manufacture of animal and fish feeds, glucose and veterinary compounds, flour milling, and sugar milling and refining. URC operates its food business through operating divisions and wholly owned or majority owned subsidiaries that are organized into three core business segments, namely, branded consumer foods, agro-industrial products and commodity food products.
URC traces its root backed to 1954 when Gokongwei, despite doing successfully in trading, realized that manufacturing can command more profitable margins. Hence, Gokongwei decided to established Universal Corn Products and in 1961, established the Consolidated Foods Corporation, the manufacturer of Blend 45.
In 1963, the Robina Farms was established paving way for the company’s agro-industrial group. Robichem was later added to manufacture and sell animal health products.
In 1966, Universal Corn Products and Consolidated Foods Corporation were merged and led to the establishing of Universal Robina Corporation, named after Gokongwei’s eldest daughter. URC continued its expansion in the 70s by establishing Continental Milling Corporation. In the 1980s, the company acquired three sugar mills and refineries under the URC Sugar. In the 1990s, URC entered the plastic business by establishing URC Packaging.
To date, URC’s businesses can be classified into:
- Branded consumer food products, which include popular snack foods such as Chippy, Chiz Curls, Nips, Magic Flakes, MAXX Cnadies, Piattos, Potato Chips, Mr. Chips, V-Cut, Tquitos, Tostillas, and Spuds. In 2004, URC also ventured into the local non-carbonated beverage market and launched C2 Cool and Clean Green Tea. In 2008, it acquired General Milling Corporation’s Granny Goose brand.
- Agro-industrial group, which is comprise of Universal Corn Products, Robina Farms, and Robichem.
- Commodity food products, which is comprise of the Sugar and Flour divisions.
 International Operations
URC has ventured outside the Philippines and has established strong presence in China, Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam and Indonesia. The company’s Jack ’n Jill” megabrand, is widely available in most trade channels in Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Vietnam, China, and Hong Kong. Its Chinese brand name is 珍珍 (zhēnzhēn).
In 2005, URC acquired the brand ACES, the leader instant cereal beverage and oatmeal market, from Acesfood Network Pte Ltd. In 2006, URC started manufacturing C2 green tea in Vietnam and has since become a market leader for the category.
 Financial reports
As of June 30, 2010, sale of URC totalled P42.9 billion. Of this, the Branded Consumer Food Group contributed P31.5 billion; the packaging division contributed P603 million; Agro-industrial, P5.3 billion and Commodity food group, P5.5 billion. The consolidated sales of the different groups translated to a 14% increase.
International sales of the branded consumer food group rose by 25% to P10.6 billion, which was driven by strong sales in Vietnam, Singapore, Thailand and Malaysia. Local and International sales of the branded consumer food group accounted for 73.2%.
Year-to-date net income of the company was P6.47 billion against P2.24 billion a year ago. Share price as of November 24, 2010 is P37.60 with market capitalization of P81.4 billion.
 List of Products
 Snack Foods
- Piattos (hexagonal-shaped fabricated potato chip)
- Potato Chips (a potato chip)
- V-Cut (ridged potato chip)
- Chippy (rectangular corn chip)
- Taquitos (circular corn chip)
- Mr. Chips (triangular corn chip)
- Tostillas (triangular corn chip, although the size is bigger than Mr. Chips)
- Roller Coaster (a looped fabricated potato snack)
- Spuds (potato crisps)
- Chiz Curls (cheese flavored extruded corn-based snack)
- Sea Crunch (extruded snack with seafood flavors)
- X.O. (deposited candy)
- Maxx (mentholated hard candy)
- Dynamite Candy (creme-filled mint-flavored candy)
- Lush (chocolate creme-filled chocolate soft candy) (its taste is somewhat similar to Tootsie Rolls, only it is filled with chocolate creme)
- Jojo Gummi (gummy candies)
- Wiggles (milk chocolate or mocha-covered marshmallows)
- Star Fruits (fruity soft candy)
- Star Pops (fruit or chocolate flavored lollipops)
 Candy Bars
- Big Bang (nougat and rice crispies smothered in milk chocolate)
- Chooey Choco (butterscotch caramel covered in chocolate)
- Chooey Toffee (toffee caramel covered in chocolate)
- Cloud 9 (nougat, caramel and peanuts covered in milk chocolate, similar to Snickers)
- Nips (candy-coated chocolate with mini versions and peanut and crispies variants)
- First Five
- Quake Bar (creme-filled chocolate cakes)
- Quake Layers (layered cake bars)
- Quake Rolls (cake rolls with jam)
- Quake Cups (muffins filled with creme)
- Presto Creams (sandwich cream cookies)
- Cream-O (chocolate cream cookie sandwich, sometimes it is chocolate covered)
- Pretzels (chocolate/strawberry/milk coated rod pretzels)
- Choco Knots (chocolate-covered twisted pretzels)
- Berry Knots (strawberry milk-covered twisted pretzels)
- Milky Knots (milk-covered twisted pretzels)
- Choco Curls (chocolate-flavored extruded corn snacks)
- Magic Flakes`Premium Crackers (soda crackers)
- Magic Flakes Cheese-Flavored Crackers
- Magic Flakes Sandwich Crackers
- Dewberry (creme-filled sandwich cookies with jam topping)
- Dewberry Tarts (creme-filled sandwich cookies with caramel or chocolate topping)
- Rainbow Bites (bite-sized cookies with candy-coated chocolate pieces)
- Hello! Wafers
- Hello! Wafrets
- Hello! Pipers
- Club House 3+1
- Club House Minis
- C2 Green Tea
- Refresh Juice Powder, Water in Cups and Juice in Cups
 Grocery and Convenience Foods
- Payless Instant Noodles
- Payless Instant Pancit Canton
- Payless Spaghetti
- Payless Macaroni
- Nissin's Ramen
- Nissin's Yakisoba
- Nissin's Cup Noodles
- Nissin's Yakisoba Cup Noodles
- Cream-All Non-Dairy Creamer
- Great Taste Premium Blend coffee
- Great Taste Granulated Coffee
- Blend 45 coffee
- Great Taste Coffee Mixes
- Great Taste RTD
- Great Taste Iced Coffee
Hunts-URC is a joint venture between URC and ConAgra Foods, Inc
- Tomato Sauce
- Tomato Paste
- Pork n' Beans
- Spaghetti Sauce
- Tomato Ketchup
- Baked Beans
- Swiss Miss
- Complete Cocoa Mix
- RTD Milk Shakes