Ugnayan ng Kababaihan sa Pulitika
From WikiPilipinas: The Hip 'n Free Philippine Encyclopedia
| Ugnayan ng Kababaihan sa Pulitika|
Philippine Women's Network in Politics and Governance
|Head||Daphne D. Roxas|
|Address||1/f, Rufina Bldg., 101 Hyacinth Street, Roxas District, 1103 Quezon City, Philippines|
|Tel. No.||(632) 373-7902|
|Fax No.||(632) 412-4230|
|Chapters||Luzon, Visayas, Mindanao|
The Ugnayan ng Kababaihan sa Pulitika (UKP), or Philippine Women's Network in Politics and Governance, is a non-government organization of women academicians and women working in various branches of government that aspires to maximize the participation of women in politics and public policy. It was formed in March 1992 by a group of feminists who later formed the core of women policy-makers during the administrations of former presidents Fidel Ramos, Corazon Aquino, Joseph Estrada and Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.
UKP's main activities are focused on undertaking research and establishing a database on women in politics in the country, conducting training for women on electoral politics and advocating for the elimination of barriers and all forms of discrimination which prevents women from seeking and winning elective positions both national and local.
During the 1992 presidential elections, UKP convened majority of the women groups in the country for the formulation of a 10-point women's political agenda, and secured the commitment of then presidential candidate Fidel V. Ramos to adopt the agenda in his party platform. Held at the Manila Pavilion’s Music Room, the agenda was an attempt to address a host of interrelated issues that seek to uplift the condition of women and of Philippine society in general. Among the provisions that was presented are the following:
- uphold international humanitarian laws;
- stop environmental destruction;
- penalize sexual harassment in the workplace and discrimination in hiring on the basis of sex;
- support women’s livelihood activities;
- eliminate gender stereotypes and promote a nonsexist projection of women in culture and in the media; and,
- ensure that more women are appointed in all levels of policymaking bodies.
- Directory of Non-Government Organizations Working on Women. Publication of the National Commission on the Role of Filipino Women; Copyright 2007.