Top Ten Philippine Soap Opera Remakes in 2009
From WikiPilipinas: The Hip 'n Free Philippine Encyclopedia
The Philippines is rich in soap operas and viewers just can’t get enough of them. The most recent trend brought about by the Mexican and Korean wave involve Philippine version remakes that makes the hit Koreanovelas and Mexican telenovelas a bigger hit since it further appealed to Philippine culture and tastes. Here are the top ten Philippine soap opera remakes:
My Girl (ABS-CBN)
A mixture of romance, comedy and drama, My Girl is one of the best Asianovela remakes produced by ABS-CBN. It cemented the Kimerald love team, composed of Kim Chiu and Gerald Anderson from their Pinoy Big Brother Teen Edition stint. This story of rich boy meets poor but hardworking girl claimed a rabid viewership that it was the number one show of ABS-CBN at the time that it was aired.
All About Eve (GMA)
Armed with a very unique drama plot, All About Eve also experienced favorable ratings among the Philippine television viewers when it was aired March 9, 2009. It starred GMA stars Sunshine Dizon and Iza Calzado, who, at the time, were already experienced in other previous soap operas from the same network. All About Eve produced an intricate story plot of successive love triangles that made it really addicting to its viewers.
I Love Betty La Fea (ABS-CBN)
Very lovely actress Bea Alonzo had to do an image makeover just to give justice to this Philippine remake from Colombian’s Yo Soy Betty, La Fea. The pilot episode of I love Betty La Fea September 8, 2009, has already begun a very good following. There was much anticipation between the very odd teamup between John Lloyd Cruz and Bea Alonzo, who used to be a love team with more or less, equally stunning good looks. The ugly duckling story captivated the audience with its emphasis on inner beauty.
La Lola (GMA)
Real life couple Rhian Ramos and JC de Vera began to have their blossoming romance in the set of this remake. La Lola is a unique love story and romantic comedy with magical elements in its midst. This Argentinian soap opera was multi-awarded and its legacy of engaging viewers was passed on to its Philippine version. It was basically a story about a playboy (played by Wendell Ramos) who was cast under a spell to turn into a woman (Ramos’ character) by the sister of one of his ex-girlfriends to avenge for the severe heartache he caused.
Ako si Kim Sam Soon (GMA)
The adaptation of My Name is Kim Sam Soon is topbilled by Asia’s Songbird Regine Velasquez. It mixed drama, comic relief and romance between the character of Kim Sam Soon and Cyrus (Mark Anthony Fernandez). The adventures and misadventures of keeping their love contract alive gained the following from viewers.
The colorful life of Rosalinda (a Thalia original) was displayed anew for its Philippine remake. It was portrayed by Carla Abellana. Her very innocent and fresh face made her a shoo-in for the role. Serving as equally good-looking partner to Abellana is matinee idol Geoff Eigenmann.
This Philippine remake (another Thalia telenovela classic) cemented the loveteam of Marian Rivera and Dingdong Dantes, who played the roles of Marimar and Sergio respectively. The sizzling scenes, the spinoff from the original MariMar series and the impressive wedding scene finale bagged the hearts of many viewers.
Only You (ABS-CBN)
This soap opera remake from Korea introduced the concept that love, ambition and drama can all be brewed for top-rater in the kitchen setting. And this appealed to a lot of viewers. Starred by no less than Angel Locsin, who was fresh from her recent transfer to ABS-CBN after a very successful string of soap operas for rival network GMA, and partnered by Sam Milby and Diether Ocampo, the setting was changed to Korea instead of Italy.
Lovers in Paris (ABS-CBN)
Rumored real life couple KC Concepcion and Piolo Pascual are the lead stars in this Philippine remake. The famous Korean television series under which this show was patterned was a big hit among Filipinos. Daughter of Megastar Sharon Cuneta, Concepcion was chosen for the role of Vivian for her debut in Philippine soap opera. She has studied in France for 5 years prior to the shooting of Lovers in Paris and was at an advantage in portraying her role.
Stairway to Heaven (GMA)
Dingdong Dantes’ first soap opera team-up minus Marian Rivera after a long string of soap operas with the latter paid off. Partnered by Rhian Ramos, who plays the role of Jodi, they are able to portray the power of love and destiny between two lovers even in the face of tragedy. Notable in performance is the flair with which the character Eunice (played by Glaiza de Castro) performs her craft as a fervent antagonist to the lead characters.
- List of Previously Aired Programs in ABS-CBN. Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Accessed December 30, 2009
- List of Previously Aired Programs in GMA Network. Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Accessed December 30, 2009
- My Girl (Philippine TV Series). Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Accessed December 30, 2009
- All About Eve (Philippine TV Series). Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Accessed December 30, 2009
- Stairway to Heaven (Philippine TV Series). Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Accessed December 30, 2009
- I Love Betty la Fea. Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Accessed December 30, 2009
- Kim Chiu Chosen as the Pinoy My Girl. Starmometer.
- Piolo, KC Enjoy First Shoot of Lovers in Paris. ABS-CBN News Online
- TV Ratings May 23-26: “My Girl” Poses Threat to GMA7’s Telebabad Block. Philippine Entertainment Portal.
- La Lola Cast Members. Philippine Entertainment Portal.
- Ako si Kim Sam Soon Airs Pilot Episode June 30. Philippine Entertainment Portal.
- Rosalinda Colors Primetime Viewing Starting July 6. Philippine Entertainment Portal.
- Marimar Cast Members. Philippine Entertainment Portal.
- Marimar Farewell Episode. Philippine Entertainment Portal.
- Filipinizing Korean Soap Operas Does it Really Work? The Varsitarian.