Top 10 Philippine Female Broadway Performers
Though less visible on television and people need to really pay to see them perform, there is a certain unique appeal for female Broadway performers. The top ten Philippine female broadway performers are the following:
The most famous among all the female broadway performers, Lea Salonga never fails to outdo herself in every performance. She has brought much pride to the Philippines with her singing and acting prowess on Broadway, as she has played numerous roles through the years: Eponin in Les Miserables, Kim in Miss Saigon, and more recently, the role of Grizabella in the staging of “Cats” in Manila.
Kathleen Imelda “Kay” Trinidad
The Little Mermaid has become a big star. Kay Trinidad’s starring in the Disnet song-and-dance ensemble has gained her a following, and some even claim that she is to follow the trails of her idol Lea Salonga. She majored in Drama in New York University’s Tisch School of Arts, this authentic Filipina is often mistaken as a Korean or Chinese for her features.
Karylle’s shift from pop to broadway is a very good decision, as it has honed her and made her one of the country’s best in broadway. She successfully played the lead role of Maria in West Side Story together with Christian Bautista. Her beautiful voice and beauty makes her a natural for broadway.
A youngster at 12, Aria Clemente is not to be underestimated. She has already bagged international claims to fame because of her prowess in Broadway. Her award at the World Championships of Performing Arts (WCOPA) in Hollywood, USA opened doors for her and invited her to have singing engagements locally and abroad. Menchu Lauchengco-Yulo
She is unarguably one of the country’s best theater stars, starting from as far back as her Sound of Music days in 1980. She has participated in numerous shows all with critical acclaim.
Also a prominent products of Miss Saigon fame, playing the role of Kim (just like Lea Salonga and Monique Wilson), Joanna Ampil has received acclaim internationally for her theater performance, particularly the Australian Mo Awards. She also appeared in 100 Greatest Musicals where she played the role of Michelle Wong. Eugene Domingo
Although now a movie celebrity, Domingo started out in Dulaang UP and was the actress in many independent films. She has already been reintroduced as an actress for TV and movies, but she continues to show prowess and top performance that only days from broadway could have given her. Monique Wilson
A daughter of a theater administrator, Monique Wilson already had theater blood running through her veins. Small wonder that she has truly emerged as one of the country’s finest in theater. Her rendez-vous with the stage started as early as when her mom took her to “The Diary of Anne Frank” when she was 3 years old. She got the lead role of Kim in Miss Saigon and founded the New Voice Company later in the Philippines. Marie-France Arcilla
From her humble beginnings as one of the child stars of kiddie comedy show Ang TV in ABS-CBN, Marie-France Arcilla has become one of the most sought after stars on Broadway. She has had many appearances and roles in numerous theater productions including Jesus Christ Superstar and Shout. Liz Casasola
Touted in Asia as a total Pinay performer, Casasola played the role of no less than Cory Aquino. This was for New York’s IMELDA, a Filipino-themed musical. She may have grown up in California, but she has not forgotten her Filipino roots.
- Lea Salonga. Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Accessed December 30, 2009.
- Karylle Tatlonghari. Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Accessed December 30, 2009.
- Eugene Domingo. Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Accessed December 30, 2009.
- Philippines Broadway World
- Broadway Star Lea Salonga and Other Filipino Volunteers Honored in Hawaii. Philippine Entertainment Portal.
- A night of Broadway and Symphony Music. Philippine Star Online.
- Kay Trinidad: Standing Out on Broadway. GMA News Online.
- Tony Nominee Pens Pinoy Lyrics for Pinay Stage Star . Global Nation Inquirer News.
- “West Side Story All Set for its September Run” Philippine Entertainment Portal.
- Repertory Philippines reveals Sweeney Todd lead cast. Philippine Entertainment Portal.
- Karylle shifts from pop to Broadway. Philippine Entertainment Portal.
- Aria Clemente Keeps Up Winning Streak. ClicktheCity.com
- Monique, Menchu and the Sound of Maria. Inquirer News Online.
- Into the Woods, A Musical. New Voice Company.
- Monique Wilson Official Website
- Marie France Arcilla. Broadway World
- Actress, Broadway star and theatre producer Liz Casasola: The total Pinay performer. Asian Journal.
- Joana Ampil’s Website