From WikiPilipinas: The Hip 'n Free Philippine Encyclopedia
Tirador Movie Poster
|Directed by||Brillante "Dante" Mendoza|
|Written by||Ralston Joel Jover|
|Starring|| Jiro Manio|
Tirador or "slingshot", is an independent film by Brillante Mendoza. The Centerstage Productions movie illustrates politics and faith in the Philippines, as well as the plight of the Filipino people who live in poverty. Tirador has been shown at different film festivals in Toronto, Singapore, Granada, Pusan and in Marrakesh where it won the International Special Jury Prize. Tirador refers to somebody who makes a hit (tira); it may refer to a hired killer, drug addict or thief.
The movie is about the intertwined lives of Caloy, Leo, Rex and Odie. All of them live in the depressed slum area of Quiapo, Manila. The film takes place during Holy Week amidst the 2007 elections. It represents Manila as swarming with criminals -- snatchers, pickpockets, drug pushers, shoplifters and the like. However, these petty criminals are portrayed as nothing compared to the corrupt, hypocritical politicians who make false promises, exploit poverty and call on God for help.
- Coco Martin - Caloy
- Nathan Lopez - Leo
- Kristoffer King - Rex
- Jiro Manio - Odie
- Jacklyn Jose - Zeny
- Nico Taverna
- Jean Andrews
- Julio Diaz
- Simon Ibarra
- Harold Montano
- Angela Ruiz
 Gawad Urian (2008)
- Best Sound
- Best Cinematography
- Best Film
- Best Supporting Actress- Angela Ruiz
- Best Director- Brillante Mendoza
 Asian Film Awards (2008)
- Best Editor- Charliebebs Gohetia (Nominated)
 Berlin International Film Festival (2008)
- Caligari Film Award- Brillante Mendoza
 Marrakech International Film Festival (2007)
- Special Jury Award- Brillante Mendoza
- Golden Star- Brillante Mendoza (Nominated)
 Singapore International Film Festival (2008)
- FIPRESCI/NETPAC Award- Brillante Mendoza
- Silver Screen Award (Best Asian Director)
- Best Asian Feature Film
|“||The movie goes the way of redundancy as if saying, “you haven’t gotten the point, have you?” It’s tiring to watch - and hear - a movie that is simply going in circles. The pacing could have been faster||”|
|“||the film is a two-hour eye-opening experience on how small time crooks are both pestilance of the community and also victims of a manipulative government.||”|
 External Links
- Jevis. "Tirador (Slingshot)". 4 December 2007. Multiply. http://jevis.multiply.com/reviews/item/33 (accessed on June 19, 2008).
- Adonis. "Tirador" 20 February 2008. Multiply http://adonissvd.multiply.com/reviews/item/3 (accessed on June 19, 2008).
- Tirador. IMDb. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1097267/ (accessed on June 19, 2008).
- Dimaculangan. J. "Tirador" and "Queen Raquela" win top honors in Berlinale" 27 February 2008. PEP. http://www.pep.ph/guide/1642/Tirador-and-Queen-Raquela-win-top-honors-in-Berlinale accessed on June 20, 2008).