|Region||CALABARZON (Region IV-A)|
|Mayor||Hon. Rafael A. Tanjuatco|
|Area|| 334.66 km²|
|Total (2000)|| 78,223|
Tanay is a 1st class municipality in the province of Rizal, Philippines. It is located 56 kilometers east of Manila, although a typical commute between Manila and Tanay will take between one to three hours depending upon traffic conditions. It contains portions of the Sierra Madre Mountains and is bordered by Antipolo City in the northeast, Baras, Morong and Teresa in the west, General Nakar (Quezon Province) in the east, and Pililla, Santa Maria (Laguna province) as well as the lake Laguna de Bay in the south.
According to the census of 2000, it has a population of 78,223 people in 15,720 households.
The majority of the population consists of Tagalogs who live near Laguna de Bay, though there is also a significant percentage of mountain dwelling people living in the northern portions of the municipality. The town's major trades consist of fishing, agriculture and regional commerce.
Tanay is also believed to be the birthplace of the Sambal language.<ref>http://www.ncca.gov.ph/about_cultarts/ebook_subcont.php?subcont_Id=33</ref>.
Tanay is politically subdivided into 19 barangays (9 urban, 10 rural).
Municipal Government Officials of Tanay
|POSITION||Name||Political Party||Term of Service|
|Mayor||Rafael "Lito" Tanjuatco||LAKAS/KAMPI||1st|
|Vice-Mayor||Ricardo "Boboy" Bernandos||NPC||1st|
|Councilor||Jaime "Jimmy" Vista||LAKAS/KAMPI||3rd|
|Councilor||Luis "GOGOGO" Catolos||NPC||3rd|
|Councilor||Elena "Ellen" Villanueva||LAKAS/KAMPI||1st|
|Councilor||Igmidio "Igme" Hilao||NPC||1st|
|ABC Chairman||Reynaldo "Rey" Esguerra||NPC||1st|
|SK President||Kimberly "Kim" Fontanos||LAKAS/KAMPI||1st|
From 1573, Tanay was originally part of neighboring Pililla, it was founded as a separate town or pueblo in 1606 under the name "Monte de Tan-ay" now "Inalsan".
In 1620, the town moved to "San Antonio" now called Pantay, but the people moved to its current location and founded the town in 1640 after the old site was burned in 1638 during the Chinese Uprising.
In 1747, Tanay was consisted of Eight (8) Balangay's before becoming a Municipality in 1894 as an effect of the Spanish Maura Law. First election of Public Office took place in 1895-1898 and 1898-1900.
In 1942-1945, The Mountains of Tanay served as the Guerilla base for 'Marking's Guerilla's a very decorated guerilla army against the Japanese occupation forces during World War II. Gen. Marking is buried by the road beside his son's farm going to Brgy. Daraitan.
Places of interest
- Daranak and Batlag Falls: A popular local tourist attraction.
- Rawang Pass and Calinawan Cave: Stronghold of the Filipinos in the Revolution against Spain and in the Filipino-American War in April-May 1900. It also housed the towns people during the Second World War.
- Tanay Catholic Church: Also known as San Ildefonso Parish Church, it was built in 1680, and is the second oldest church in the province.
- Tanay Plaza and T.Q. Bernados Park: Adjacent to the church, this is the main social gathering place in the town, where during festivals one may observe performances of the Tariki dance, or the Subok. A monument of Jose Rizal also stood there.
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- 2000 Philippine Census Information
- Google Maps - Tanay, Rizal
- Tanay Geographic - Discover Tanay!