Stella Maris Academy of Davao
From WikiPilipinas: The Hip 'n Free Philippine Encyclopedia
Stella Maris Academy of Davao is a learning institution in Davao City which aims to promote Christian education through "academic excellence and human spiritual formation."
The school was established in 1953 and was named Davao Chinese Catholic Kindergarten School with funds from local Chinese community in Davao. It was located then near the Sta. Ana Church and was entrusted to two Rosarian nuns from Manchuria, China. In 1957, the school was entrusted to two sisters of the Missionary Sister of the Immaculate (MIC) and was transferred along F. Torres St. in Davao City. The school then replaced their name to Stella Maris Catholic Chinese School and in the same year it got transferred on another part of Torres St. in the spot where it now stands, the Archbishop's Palace. The school was recognized by Philippine and Taiwanese government as an educational institution in 1958. During this time, the school's name was changed to Stella Maris Academy of Davao. In 1968, the school had its first high school graduation in 1968. With the organization of Parent-Teachers association (PTA) the school expanded its resources. When the Hijas de Jesus took over in 1977, construction of main building were done. Preliminary Self Survey started in 1988 and in the following year Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities (PAASCU) the elementary and high school departments were established.