Society of Aerospace Engineers of the Philippines
The Society of Aerospace Engineers of the Philippines' is an organization conceived to work for the promotion and advancement of Aeronautical Engineering in the Philippines. It is a leading catalyst in the development of aviation industry in the country.
In the year 1950, fifteen individuals headed by Dr. Gregorio Y. Zara of FEATI University formed a society of Aeronautical Engineers of the Philippines, for working of the promotion, professionalization and advancement of the career in the Philippines as their main objective. The society was registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission on April 28, 1950. Since Aeronautical Engineers were few in number at that time, some of the members of the organization were products of foreign schools, and some were from the pre-war FEU and FEATI. Very few of them were absorbed to airlines and most were teaching. They were frequently mistaken as pilots and aircraft technicians. Furthermore, no law is regulating for the practice of Aeronautical Engineering in the country.
Vision and Mission
The organization envisions that "Society of Aerospace Engineers of the Philippines shall be geared towards the pursuit for recognition in the international aviation community. It shall accelerate the development of high-leveled Aeronautical Engineers to make them productive members of the Society." With this is their mission, which is to develop and advance Aeronautical Engineering profession towards its recognition in the international aviation industry through the following guidelines:
- Harmonious relationship among its members.
- Recognition of government agencies and non-governmental organizations.
- Advocacy of international linkages.
- Enhancement and promotion of the global competitiveness of the Filipino Aeronautical Engineering professional.
The organization has worked to uplift the profession and to pursue recognition in the international aviation through the introduction of reforms and development of programs for the desire of young engineers and students on the exciting field of aircraft manufacturing research, operation, maintenance and engineering. The organization also serves as a medium in accelerating the development of high-level aeronautical engineers to be a productive member of the society. The organization also provides education, information services and extends technical assistance to more than 1000 members.
- Fellow member - Entitled for a life membership status by paying the sum of P5,000 as a membership fee for life. Must be a regular member of good standing for at least fifteen years and either be:
- A recipient of an achievement or other national/international award for achievement in aerospace science and technology. Also an active member of another professional, civic or research, or
- A member of the Board of Aeronautical Engineering of the Professional Regulation Commission.
- Regular member - Must have completed a Bachelor of Science of Degree or a Higher Academic Degree Course in Aeronautical/Aerospace Engineering and a registered Aeronautical Engineer in the Philippines.
- Associate member - must have completed a Bachelor of Science Degree or a Higher Academic Degree Course in Aeronautical/Aerospace Engineering but not yet registered.
- Honorary member - upon unanimous approval of the Board of Directors, to the individual who has valuable contributions or is highly capable of contributing immensely to the advancement of aerospace science and technology in the Philippines.
The SAEP is an active member of the Philippine Technological Council (PTC), an umbrella organization of 14 accredited organizations in the country whose common goal is to: "create a confederated league wherein all technological associations can participate and concur in the promotion and provision of quality service and better life for the Filipino people and better future for the nation."