SIKLAB which stands for (Sulong, Itaguyod ang Karapatan ng Manggagawang Pilipino sa Labas ng Bansa), in English, "Advance the Rights and Welfare of Overseas Filipinos Workers." It was established in 1995 from the realization of migrant workers that they can empower themselves and the Filipino overseas community. SIKLAB fights for the rights and welfare of migrant workers in Canada and the Philippines.
As individual organizations continued to do good work in different provinces and some efforts were coordinated in the national level, Filipino community in Canada started to see the need to have a national organizational mechanism: thus SIKLAB Canada was formed in October 2005
Its aim is to be able to promote their national advocacy against the deportation of live-in caregivers, support local campaigns and participate actively in the international arena in the need to recognize the strategic role that migrant labour is playing in both host and sending countries.
- Understanding migrant issues in order for them to become tools in the project of empowering our community.
- Critical re-examination of the history and the roots of their migration.
- Conducting continuous research and study of the community and the experience of its members.
- Decolonizing thier minds both individually and collectively and rediscovering their culture of resistance and continuing struggle for social justice and equality.
- SIKLAB-British Columbia
- Kalayaan Centre. (accessed on August 29, 2007).
- Magkaisa Centre. (accessed on May 09, 2008).
- Kairos Canada. (accessed on May 09, 2008).