Richard Yap (born 18 May 1967) is a Filipino-Chinese actor known for his role in the primetime teleserye My Binondo Girl as Papa Chen and “Sir Chief” in the phenomenal noontime drama, Be Careful With My Heart.
Dubbed as “Papa ng Bayan,” 44-year-old Richard Yap is an ordinary family man who is married to Melody for eighteen years and has two children, Ashley, 15 and Dylan, 8. He used to work in a marketing firm and sometimes auditioned for television commercials. It was Ashley who encouraged his father to accept the role of Papa Chen. Instead of hiring a personal assistant, Melody takes care of Richard's needs during the set, giving them more time to spend together.
My Binondo Girl
“Papa Chen” used to play the role of a chef in Chowking commercials before he was offered the role of Kim Chiu's character's father and the love interest of Ai-Ai delas Alas's and Cherry Pie Picache's characters in the teleserye, My Binondo Girl, produced by ABS-CBN.
Before accepting the offer for the role, he asked his family if it would be all right to go fulltime in showbusiness. He also told ABS-CBN that he lacked acting experience. He decided to accept the role later on.
Nestor Torre, in his column in the Philippine Daily Inquirer, commended Yap in his role in the teleserye, saying:
“We were particularly impressed with the performance of the then unknown actor who played the plum role of Kim Chiu’s Taipan father. We learned that he was Richard Yap, a businessman who was relatively new at the acting game. Despite his lack of experience, however, he was completely credible in his role. In fact, he did even better than Ai Ai delas Alas, who played his wife.”
Be Careful With My Heart
Yap's role in Be Careful With My Heart is about a businessman who has kids that needs to be taken care of after his wife died. He hired Maya dela Rosa (Jodi Sta. Maria) to be the youngest child's nanny. Until Maya fell in love with the patriarch of the Lim family.
The show reached its 100th episode in November and said to extend until 2013. Replays are also aired during weekends.
Papa ng Bayan
Due to his roles as a father, Richard Yap earned the title of “Papa ng Bayan.” He said that being considered as such, is “[...] really very flattering na kinu-consider akong gano'n at my age."
- Be Careful with My Heart. (Accessed on 28 November 2012).
- Ching, Mark Angelo. Newcomer Richard Yap thankful to be recognized for playing "Papa Chen" in My Binondo Girl. (Accessed on 28 November 2012).
- MBG's Richard Yap aka Papa Chen. (Accessed on 28 November 2012).
- One good role deserves another. (Accessed on 28 November 2012).
- Richard Yap on his instant popularity as Papa Chen: "It's really very flattering na kinu-consider akong gano'n at my age.". (Accessed on 28 November 2012).
- Random Revelation: Papa Chen's Wife in Real Life. (Accessed on 28 November 2012).