Quirino Memorial Medical Center
From WikiPilipinas: The Hip 'n Free Philippine Encyclopedia
The Quirino Memorial Medical Center (Abbreviation: QMMC) is a tertiary medical care institution that is commited to quality medical services, training and accessible and affordable health care for the Filipinos and all, regardless of social and economic status.
The Quirino Memorial Medical Center was first known as "Labor Hospital" when it opened on August 15, 1953. The QMMC was the only government hospital in the Quezon City are during that time and its establishment was part of the amelioration program of the late Preasident Elpidio Quirino. From its humble beginning, the QMMC aimed to reach out to the sick and provide the best of services.
The QMMC was built on a 42,000 square meter-area between the Katipunan and J.P Rizal area. This site was donated to the Bureau of Hospitals by a mortgage by the People's Homesite and Housing Corporation with the Philippine National Bank in 1951.
The first building was constructed in 1952. The name "Quirino Labor Hospital" was inscribed on the building's front side.
On Agust 15, 1953, the 75-bed capacity hospital was inaugurated. This was led by Dr. Facundo Ezquivel, Acting Chief of Hospital.
Due to inadequate equipment, it was only on December 1953 that a surgical operation was performed. As the numbers of patients increase, the QMMC increased in bed capacity from 75 to 100 in 1957.
Two years later, funds were given the QMMC to have additional facilities and amenities built. In 1958, a new buliding, an Out-Patient Department, was constructed. This housed the Pharmacy, Dental, Laboratory and X-ray Service. The following year, QMMC was designated as a teaching/training hospital. Several private medical and nursing schools like the Far Eastern University, Cetri Escolar University also worked with QMMC.
August 15, 1964 marked the official renaming of Labor Hospital to Quirino Memorial General Hospital by virtue of Republic Act 3965 through a bill crafted by Congressman Labrido of the Iloilo province.
Several additional buildings were built to cater the needs of the hospitals increasing number of patients. These buildings house the Surgery-EENT Building with its Operating Room, and the OB-Gyne Unit with its Delivery Room, the Medical Records and Library Building housing the Property Section and Linen Room, the Dietary Section, the Conference Hall, the Male Personnel Quarters, the Nurses Dormitory, the Multi-Purpose building built through private group efforts, the unfinished OPD Building at the Western portion, the two buildings from the Bureau of Public works and Highways for the Laboratory Section and the Pediatric Ward, and the Kiwanis club of Quezon City donated building. The latest addition is the OPD building donated by former Minister of Justice Ricardo Puno.
On June 10, 1983, by virtue of Batas Pambansa Blg. 442, the Quirino Memorial Medical Center became a tertiary regional hospital.
 Services and Facilities
- Department of Internal Medicine
- Department of Pediatrics
- Department of Surgery
- Department of Internal Medicine
- Department of Obstetrics-Gynecology
- Department of ENT-HNS
- Department of Pathology
- Department of Medical Imaging
- Department of Anaesthesia
 Trivia and Other Information
- The Regional Health Office No. IV, was built within the vicinity of the hospital compound.
- The most recent project of QMMC is construction of new water supply system and the repair and renovation of old buildings.
- Quirino Memorial Medical Center "Quirino Memorial Medical Center", (accessed on April 18, 2007)
 External Links